What US$ 500 can buy best stax headphone and amp

bluedash

I am new in STAX but already fall in love with it after a few audition. Now I like to spend about US$ 500 - 600, yeah it is not enough to get the best Stax, but maybe you guys here can help me to decide what to chose with that amount that your experience has the best in sound quality. My interest is a light jazz and some classic music and maybe some pop music too.

I do own a Qinpu A-6000 Hybrid amplifier, that might enough to drive an energizer.

Any advice are wellcome, I like to hear your comments, thanks before.

They are hard to find quickly, but usually a Stax SR-Lambda (normal bias with six pins) and an SRD7/SB adapter that hooks into a speaker amplifier to drive the phones can be found for under $300. Then use your Qinpu or buy a T-amp such as Trends TA-10 or the Dayton/sonic impact T-amp to power the SRD7 for between $50-200 and you have an amazing starter unit for under $500. The pro bias adapters go for between $250 to $300 usually and can blow your budget there.

You could also buy a used ESP950 and use the E90 driver unit that comes with it for $500, but I don't consider it to be as high of a value with a stax adapter and Stax energizer.

Gonna have to disagree with that.

x2...it is gross injustice to listen to the ESP950 with the cruddy E/90.

Minimum you need is an SRM1-MK2. The eXStatA however is a perfect match for the ESP950.

I need to hear the esp950, they seem well regarded. Im not a fan of any of the Lambdas, but then again I haven't heard the Airbow SR-SC1, 404LE, and never on a BH, Koss included.

Does NoNoNoNoNoNo still have a pair of his up for sale on HF? That was a pretty good deal. BTW, how do you like the O2mk1 on the T1? Seems like that is where I'm going to be a while.

I need to hear the esp950, they seem well regarded. Im not a fan of any of the Lambdas, but then again I haven't heard the Airbow SR-SC1, 404LE, and never on a BH, Koss included.

The Lambda Pro sounds quite decent in my rig.

I'm also a fan of the Koss, but I've heard it with a BH and a KGSS so I'm not sure what it sounds like in other systems.

My only recommendation to the op is to upgrade from light jazz to real jazz. That will offer you the best improvement to your listening.

Buy a plane ticket to the SoFla meet and then maybe you'll get a chance to hear 404LE on the BHSE, and maybe the ESP950 too? The more the merrier. :)

BTW, how do you like the O2mk1 on the T1? Seems like that is where I'm going to be a while.

I'll give you my quick impressions on the T1, having lived with it for sometime. My source is very musically lively. It has very bold voicing, not laid back at all, but quite refined. It is still pretty neutral imo, maybe perhaps slightly tipped toward the treble if you want to be critical. So take this into consideration depending on your source.

The T1 is a capable amp for driving Stax headphones, although I think its definately more suited for anything outside the Omega line. Dynamic levels and overall clarity are good around 9-9:30 on the attenuator. In my experience this amp is best listened to between 9 and 10 o'clock. Anything past this and you will start to notice considerable dynamic compression, and listening fatigue will set in quickly.

If you know what the O2 is capable of, you'll know that it likes to be cranked up higher. When you crank up the volume on the O2 the sound transitions from being able to "just hear" the vast soundstage layering, and minute textural details to being able to really "feel" the almost palpable qualities of these characteristics. Reaching a hint of this stage, quantum wise is possible with the T1, but the problem is that the dynamic compression causes too much fatigue and distortion at this high SPL. You may get a taste of the dynamic range that O2s are capable of, but you cannot listen to it for long. This is where a BH comes into play or any amp that is capable of controlling the diaphram of the O2s properly at high volumes.

With the T1, the treble and bass output are limited at normal hearing levels. The treble in my rig is lacking quantity wise, but is of very good quality(perhaps source related.) I can hear treble that is "finer than silk", but I definately cannot feel it. Same goes with the bass but to add to that, it is also slightly uncontrolled compared to a BH for example.

If I could sum up my experience with the T1 driving the O2s, I would say that listening to music with the T1 is like peering through a very clean glass door at a live venue. I can easily see and hear the performance going on, and in good accuracy, but cannot feel the performance. A better amp will allow you to open those doors to "feel" and be absorbed in the performance without any barriers(glass doors.)

The Lambda Pro sounds quite decent in my rig.

I'm also a fan of the Koss, but I've heard it with a BH and a KGSS so I'm not sure what it sounds like in other systems.

Glad you like the Koss also, which is another reason that I need to hear an ESP950, especially since a BH is imminently in my future.>:D

Buy a plane ticket to the SoFla meet and then maybe you'll get a chance to hear 404LE on the BHSE, and maybe the ESP950 too? The more the merrier. :)

Aww, it makes me sad that I do not have the time to fly over to hang out and listen to gear with everyone in Florida. I guess its another reminder that I will have to wait until Canjam in Chicago before I get another opportunity to do so.:(