How Can I Tell What Scew Size I Need for a Threaded Insert

The Monkey

Basically a two part question. I want to get some isolation feet for some of my gearses and speakerses. The speakers are easy, as I know they are M6. But...

1) How would I go about determining the thread size where I don't currently have a screw? In other words, the component has a threaded insertion point, but I don't know what size it takes.

2) For those components where I want to replace the current feet, what's the proper way to measure the screw so that I arrive at the proper thread size?

You could print out these and maybe use them to verify the culprit.

Or you may just put the suspect part in your pocket and take it down to the local hardware, where they should have one of those template-on-a-chain thingys that you screw your bolt or nut onto to verify the correct size and thread pitch. My local Ace has one of those, and lots of metric and standard stuff to play around with, on the fastener isle.

You could print out these and maybe use them to verify the culprit.

Or you may just put the suspect part in your pocket and take it down to the local hardware, where they should have one of those template-on-a-chain thingys that you screw your bolt or nut onto to verify the correct size and thread pitch. My local Ace has one of those, and lots of metric and standard stuff to play around with, on the fastener isle.

Very helpful, thanks!

For the ones you don't have the screws, have you e-mailed the manufactures (assuming they're still in business)?

Yeah....Justin didn't know. :palm::laugh:

I would go to home depot and buy a few packs of screws in "good guess" sizes.

ALTERNATELY if you have feet for the things that you are looking to replace take them to home depot (or a better mom and pop shop if you are lucky enough to still have one) and use their screw gauge on the feet.

This is for the KGSS DX. I'm pretty sure the largest screw that will fit is an 8-32. But it's not quite that simple. First, the feet I want have 1/4-20 inserts. Second, getting to the currently installed screws means removing the PCB and I am not keen on doing that. The feet are currently secured with 4-40 machine screws. I was thinking that I could try a 4-40 to 1/4-20 adapter, but those things ain't cheap. This might be a no-go.