YBA WD202 DAC & headphone amp

Asr

Just got the June 2010 issue of Stereophile today and a review of this DAC was in there. Every important input (coaxial, optical, AES/EBU, USB), USB upsampled to 24/192, and it has both RCA and XLR balanced outputs - for $879! And it's also a headphone amp. I think I might have to try one. ;) The review says the DAC chip is the PCM1796. Here's a pic (it's the one on the top):

wd202wa202idw1.jpg

Unfortunately, the YBA WD202 did not live up to it's specs in testing (see "Measurements"). The AES/EBU would not accept 192kHz data (just 32 to 96kHz). The USB port was limited to 48kHz at only 16 bit depth....quite limited. A DAC with a very good headphone amp is the Benchmark DAC1 USB, as it will decode 24-bit/96kHz sampled data through its USB connection.

Unfortunately, the YBA WD202 did not live up to it's specs in testing (see "Measurements"). The AES/EBU would not accept 192kHz data (just 32 to 96kHz). The USB port was limited to 48kHz at only 16 bit depth....quite limited. A DAC with a very good headphone amp is the Benchmark DAC1 USB, as it will decode 24-bit/96kHz sampled data through its USB connection.

Not sure how many people use AES/EBU. I have quite a bit of 24bit music, but only one album is at 176.4.

I think quite a few DACs have the 16/48 USB limitation, not a problem if you're listening to 16/44 lossless. Or you can just buy a USB to S/PDIF adapter to do 24/196.

At this price point, certain tradeoffs have to be made. I'm interested in how it sounds.

I do like the look of the black box :)

Sorry, not many experienced headphone users would classify the DAC1's Headphone amp as being "very good". Very mediocre comes to mind.

Did anyone else notice that Stereophile listed the number of dears as 4. It use to be that they wouldn't publish a review unless the product had a minimum number of dealers, of course YBA is imported by Audio Plus Services (Focal and Cambridge Audio) which spends a lot on ads so it's no surprise that it got the positive review.

Still the YBA looks interesting, I'm tempted. It seems that a dealer that I use to work at is one of the 4 dealers. Spearit Sound in MasNoNoNoNoNoNosetts is selling the WD202 for $795. (I'm not shilling for them, I haven't worked there since 99).

I am in the market for a new DAC, but I'm aiming a little higher. I will probably pull the trigger on a PWD this Monday.

Oh... is that Scarlett Johansson? Fucking mesmerizing, I can't take my eyes off of her. Am I crazy, or does she make eating popcorn sexy?

Did Spearit in Boston go away, get bought by Audio Concepts, or move? I've only been to Spearit in Northampton once, but the folks there were REAL nice.

I've had and liked the YBA Alpha DT integrated, nice build and sound. I have to say, though, I haven't been quite as impressed with their less expensive lines.....either this line (heard the 201 integrated and CD player) or the Audio Refinement.....

And hope you get well soon!

Spearit closed the Boston Store, so now it's just the Northampton store. I haven't been to the new store that opened up at 870 Commonwealth Ave. I hear it's a cross between a high end audio store and a high end furniture store.