Google Android OS

manaox2

Tethering is a built in feature of later versions of android. Whether you are charged for the same packets to depart from your phone, having already already arrived, depends on your carrier and plan (i.e. this is shareholder profitability limitation, not a technical limitation)

s3_thumb1.jpg

Edited by Grahame

http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Develop-Tethering-widget/dp/B004UI4RGG

I used to use that. I swapped my 5GB + tether plan for unlimited with no (legit) tether, and saved 5$, so I'm not using it now, but it's a widget you can just tap and it should cut it on or off.

Do you reboot the phone ever? You should at least once a week, if not every 2-3 days. Let us know.

**BRENT**

post-545-13530172082749_thumb.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2 smile.png

EDIT:

(Hint: The upgrades Android 4.2 have just downloaded + installed)

Like the new features in the clock. Lots of other goodies too!

More details on 4.2

Here http://www.android.com/whatsnew/

and

Here http://developer.android.com/about/versions/jelly-bean.html

Multiple User Accounts on one Tablet! that's a win for value oriented consumers!

Edited by Grahame

So I got the Nexus 7 and don't like it. Mostly annoyed that I can't use it always in widescreen mode like the ipad. So I want to send it back (unfortunately google has a 15% restocking fee...) and did a factory reset but evidently this is not a secure erase and some stuff is still left on the device.

http://www.gottabemo...o-swiss-cheese/

Any way that I can completely wipe it and not be worried about the data. I am assuming that google is going to resell it like it is (possibly as refurbished).

I guess I was pretty stupid to link it to my google account as soon as I did it.

Edit: Figured out how to use it in widescreen mode but still interested in this answer in case I do still send back the tablet.

Edited by shellylh

Shelly , what version of android is your 7 running, (settings -> about tablet ( last item) = Android Version)

They Added the ability to rotate 4.1+

You did turn off Orientation Lock, didn't you?

http://www.howtogeek...7s-home-screen/

EDIT:

on 4.2 Swipe from upper right of screen to get access to Auto Rotation / Rotation Locked

Edited by Grahame

So basically...?

1) The Nexus 7 doesn't use the FAT file system so stuff is essentially erased

2) If the government or something with a lot of resources wanted to get the erased data it will be possible

3) That person is not going to get the Nexus 7 I send back

4) See 1, 2, 3 and do a factory reset and don't worry

I looked at the erase programs like "forever gone" etc and they didn't have very good reviews or just erased SD drives.

One more question:

Can you get some sort of malware/virus from just downloading an app without opening it. I was trying to decide if the Nexus 7 would be a good device for my niece who likes barbie stuff. There was a free barbie app (Princess Barbie) and I stupidly installed without reading all the reviews. The reviews all talk warn not to download, the permissions say that it can access lots of personal information that I didn't want it to see. I never opened it, so I am still "safe" or not? Yes, I know, I am paranoid and stupid for downloading such an app.

Shelly,

What you can do is

1. Mount the N7 as an external drive using USB and see what you can see / delete (mounts directly to PC - Mac may need app)

2. Get the ES file explorer app + see what you can see / delete in the file system https://play.google....droid.pop&hl=en

See if anything is left after a factory reset ( you can do it twice)

Don't worry, the NSA has copies of everything anyway smile.png

EDIT: Barbie

If you installed but didn't open it, then nothing should have been executed ... installation being handled by the installer, not the app

Edited by Grahame

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B004UI4RGG

I used to use that. I swapped my 5GB + tether plan for unlimited with no (legit) tether, and saved 5$, so I'm not using it now, but it's a widget you can just tap and it should cut it on or off.

Do you reboot the phone ever? You should at least once a week, if not every 2-3 days. Let us know.

**BRENT**

I've rebooted it a bunch. And I've been using the built-in tethering tool. I guess I was just hoping that there was some app that was better than the built-in tool--rather than an app that basically is a shortcut to the tool itself. But it also could be that both AT&T and Verizon have been sucky post-Sandy.

The Galaxy S3 is really a good phone, but it reminds me why I am perfectly happy remaining a slave to the Apple ecosystem for now. Though I am not as happy with my enslavement as I used to be.

Tethering is a built in feature of later versions of android. Whether you are charged for the same packets to depart from your phone, having already already arrived, depends on your carrier and plan (i.e. this is shareholder profitability limitation, not a technical limitation)

s3_thumb1.jpg

Tried tethering with my phone and it didn't work, could connect to the phone via wifi on my computer but I couldn't gets on the interweb. I guess Sprint has blocked this or else I was doing something wrong.

Is there a webpage which keeps a list of different carriers and what they allow and if they charge? My sister in law wants to get rid of her internet at home use tethering instead to save money (she doesn't have a job - short version of the story: she has a son who is 21 and has a very rare disease where he has almost no muscle control and needs to be home to help care for him - and she just split up with her husband). I was warning her that tethering may not be what she is expecting. I think she was planning to buy an unlocked phone and switch from Sprint to Simple Mobile (also to save money). Anything I should warn her about? Are certain phones better or worse than others?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/261928/the_ultimate_android_tethering_guide.html

Here's a little info.

As far as 3rd party apps mentioned, I used to use PDA Net with both Android and Blackberry back in the day, and I loved it. It doesn't work on every phone, but try it.

If she does the 3rd party app, she's going to want light usage. If she's streaming video, it's probably going to be noticed, and shut down.

AirDroid is an app I use and really like. You can use your phone in quite a few was from your computer via wifi. Not really for your friend, but it'll possibly be nice for some of you guys.

**BRENT**

• 4 weeks later...

Oh my, it's sillyhuge™.

It'll fit in well with my other sillyhuge things -- 30 inch 2560x1600 monitor, Invicta and Nixon watches, and...

...and...

(scratches head)

That's about all I can think of...er...that's about all of which I can think.  Alright, maybe my bass cab.