Google Android OS

manaox2

Carl, Edwood and I have been using the cases from this supplier for years: http://stores.ebay.com/EASECASE/Galaxy-S4-i9500-/_i.html?_fsub=8019064018&_sid=149381558&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

They are really nicely made, custom made to your order (you can request holes for charging, or any other customizations).  It takes a few weeks to receive the case, but it's worth it.  They're fairly indestructible.  I've gotten one for my last two phones, and been very pleased with both.

Peter, those look like petty darn nice cases. I have a nice leather case for each phone and a scruffy every day one. Those look like candidates for 'nice leather', which is on the agenda after I get the everyday thing under control. You've got to keep an open mind, too. I stumbled on my 'nice leather' case for my Motorola for twelve bucks in an auto parts store.

I don't remember if I checked to see if the Bluetooth button would wake up Google voice control. Dragon has been pretty satisfactory, apart from staying active with the phone in the holster and heating up the phone doing god knows what without my participation. I wonder if there's a voice command to make it exit??

So my Note II just completely broke down and wouldn't boot in the middle of CanLanta. It made me sad. Scott tried to work on it, but I think it killed his computer, and perhaps his soul as well.

T-Mobile had the Note II on backorder, but I FINALLY got it in today (a week later, instead of the usual next day.) I've been using a dual core 4" Android phone. There's a reason my 7 year old has that phone now... it's built for people with 7 year old hands.

Glad to be back in the land of almost-current-gen tech.

**BRENT**

For those of you with S3s, would you recommend getting a case? I don't like carrying extra bulk, but not as much as I don't like having a cracked screen. I've been using my current phone (HTC evo 3d) with only a screen protector and it has held up just fine.

Also, has anyone tried Solavei? The strange ponzi-esque pricing sounds both enticing and sketchy.

"Get Your Mobile Phone Service for Free

It's simple: for every 3 people you directly sign up for mobile service, Solavei pays you $20 per month. That means by signing up just 9 people, you're earning $60 per month - more than the cost of your monthly phone bill."

Ongoing, incremental S4 update:

Zite now has a version that works with the S4. That's good because Flipboard was driving me up a wall.

And I never did find a ringtone that I liked. So I got a copy of the Windows Mobile 6.1 default ringtone that was on my Motorola for years, edited it a bit so that it loops properly, and now I feel much more at home.

MPI - I couldn't even hold onto to S4 without a case. It was like trying to hold a polished plastic playing card. Still haven't found one I really like, though. One of the tech sites did a drop test and the S4 basically shattered. The iPhone didn't break. That time. The next time out it apparently met the same fate. I guess cases are probably not a bad idea in general. 

I just ordered a Verzion S4 for my girlfriend last night. She'd been making do with an original Droid X, so this should be quite the monumental improvement!

I generally like the feel of the devices in their naked state. I do always store my phone in a belt case when not in use. However, it's naked all the way in actual use, and yes both my former Thunderbolt and current G-Nex have taken a few knocks, but never anything that caused any sort of serious damage. I'll keep taking the risk, and enjoying the phones as they were intended to be handled.

I'm not usually a case guy, but I did buy a Seido for my Note 2. I find that most of the time I don't use it though. I like the original feel of the phone, even if its a bit slippery, but also I need it to slide in and out of my pocket easily. Despite the Note 2's size this is no problem in its naked state, but with a rubbery grippy case it gets tricky.

I've been thinking of getting a wallet case for it, http://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-Note-Natural-Diary-Collection/dp/B009S9DT7K/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2XATW4WLXS21R&coliid=I20NPXT4RRUBU'>something like this, so I don't have to carry my wallet either. The good ones are expensive though, like the one I linked.

In other Note 2 news, my Note 2 has been acting up lately. While at Hangout this weekend it went completely on the fritz, kept shutting off and resetting itself. I did a factory reset when I got home, and this has helped tremendously, but it still freezes or resets itself from time to time. A bit of light googling revealed that this is a known issue, and I'm running a dummy file generator app to try and remedy the issue.

I hope the phone doesn't eventually brick on me, because A) I love it, best phone I've ever owned and B) I bought it unlocked from New Egg, so I have no warranty. Which means I'd either have to go back to my iPhone 4S or buy a new phone. I'd get the Nexus 4 if it came down to that, couldn't stomach dropping another load of cash for another unlocked Note 2.

My contract is up in the Fall, but I'm trying to get off the contract cycle and be a free agent so to speak, just on principle really. I really want to support Google's no contract model with their phones, and I think $300 is extremely reasonable, but now that I'm in love with my 5.5" screen I don't want to ever use anything smaller unless I have to.

• 3 weeks later...

Posty, I use the flip cover from Samsung. Replacement back cover plus flip cover. I hoks that between a finger or two and have maybe 3 drops in 6 months? Better record than my otter boxes and seidios and others in the past.

Chris, like I sais elsewhere, looks great, and I hope they make a Note X Active.

**BRENT**

Galaxy S4 Active looks like exactly what I have been waiting for. No more having to take off gloves and no using a waterproof bag in my jersey. Awesome.

That S4 is a brilliant idea. Such an obvious move to basically make a phone with a protective case already on it, much less one that can be submerged in water. Surprising no one has thought of it until now, given the huge market for after market phone cases. I am extremely happy with my Note 2, but the S4 is the first phone that makes me squirm a little for an upgrade.

Posty, I use the flip cover from Samsung. Replacement back cover plus flip cover. I hoks that between a finger or two and have maybe 3 drops in 6 months? Better record than my otter boxes and seidios and others in the past.

Chris, like I sais elsewhere, looks great, and I hope they make a Note X Active.

**BRENT**

Good to hear a positive review of the flip cover, I've considered it many times.

Mike it records all that for its predictive type feature. It doesn't send it anywhere as far as I know. Worth it as far as I am concerned.

http://support.swiftkey.net/knowledgebase/articles/9099-a-warning-says-swiftkey-may-collect-personal-data-

http://support.swiftkey.net/knowledgebase/articles/12021-what-data-is-collected-sent-out-to-use-swiftkey-

What data is collected/sent out to use SwiftKey?

SwiftKey periodically sends back completely anonymous data, much like the statistics you can see for yourself under Settings>Stats, to help us to understand how people use SwiftKey and how we can make it better. We know how many characters people have entered, and how many keystrokes we have saved, but we don’t know anything about WHAT you have been writing – your personal language model is saved on your phone’s SD card.

If the app crashes, anonymous info about the crash will be sent to Google and to us.

If you choose to use cloud personalization services, you give explicit permission for our servers to process your personal message data. But this is entirely optional. The data policy for personalization services is explained in our privacy policy, at http://www.swiftkey.net/privacy.