Superman Comics

The Monkey

It's hard to find gifts for my dad--he's the kind of guy who kind of has everything. But today he was telling me how much he liked Superman comics when he was a kid. He wanted to know if the comic was still published. I know nothing about comics. Nothing. But I was thinking about putting together a little package of superman comics for him for Christmas. Not collector's item type stuff, just maybe a few cool things. It's the kind of thing he would never get for himself.

Now I could use some advice about what to get and perhaps a suggestion where to get it. Again, I don't need any collectibles, just some comics and/or related stuff would make him very happy I think. Any help is appreciated.

I can't even confirm that it's still being published, that's how out of superhero comics I am. I would find your nearest comics establishment and ask the help there. By 'help', I mean either the guy behind the counter, or the one on your side talking to him -- for some reason, they always come in twos like that. One that works there, and one that just knows a lot.

There's a service for finding your nearest comics establishment (yes, besides maps.google.com), but I forget what it is. Something off wizard, I think. Well, there's this one. You don't have to frequent the store or get a subscription there or anything, just go in with your question, they'll help you find it. I remember walking by what looked like a really good one when I was in NYC the other month, but I have absolutely zero recollection where it was.

There's a new HC short that was released re-printing the old Superman vs Muhammad Ali story that's pretty awesome, All Star superman also recently received the Absolute Edition Treatment; beautiful oversized hard cover. Also recently released Wednesday Comics Hardcover (also huge) which has a bunch of shorts done by some of the Inustry's biggest names, kind of old-school look and feel.

To get older stuff is going to be quite a bit more time consuming :)