Shameless

Grahame

A co-worker mentioned that he had just started watching a new series on Showtime "Shameless" starring William H. Macy. This is a US adaptation of a long running UK Series.

UK : Shameless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

UK : Shameless - Channel 4

US : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shameless_(U.S._TV_series)

US: Watch Shameless on Showtime

New Ideas? Who Needs 'em

Alright you guys, quit getting distracted by that comment -- it was meant completely sarcastically, I can't imagine Bernard americanized in any way. I took it back in the same post. Kind of like, "I'd love to see a Singlepower / RSA collaboration. Wait, no I wouldn't." or "I'd give my left nut to have a voice like James Earl Jones. Wait, no I wouldn't."

Please go back to shamelessly falling for the hype.

I'll put money on G's theory. I also love all three of those shows and can't really see that they have declined in overall quality, the most that you can say is that they've each become stale... Not much left to do without a serious reorganization (The Office will attempt this next year, but I predict it will fail.) I will also mourn the inevitable loss of all three which I believe will come sooner than later.

Series don't generally make the journey across the pond well, that's for sure. Life on Mars sucked, Coupling sucked, the single episode of "The IT Crowd" sucked, Top Gear may well suck, etc. Remaking successful UK shows seems like a kind of TV producer's low-hanging fruit, especially since most of the successful ones (i.e. "All in the Family", "Sanford and Sons", "American Idol", "Office") are much more famous than the British originals. Apparently, the UK is happy to simply watch "24" or "The West Wing" without remaking it, or UK producers don't see the money in it that US producers do.

• 1 month later...

I think this show is succeeding at being imported. I watched the first three seasons of the UK Shameless and the specials as well as every episode of the US series. It is ripping off a lot, but puts in some really nice twists and is good TV in my opinion. The US version so far is actually not as out there (stretching possibilities) in the plot so far IMO. I'm actually finding them equally enjoyable and am not too worried about one ruining the other too much.