Going balanced via DIY

alfie

With all those new balanced amplifiers around I can't really resist and I want at least to have a taste of that heaven with a balanced 650, so, what is the most beautiful sounding but also simple DIY balanced amplifier in your opinion?

The first and most important question is, "Do you have a balanced source?"

get a TooleAudio balanced M3.

I want to build it :)

The first and most important question is, "Do you have a balanced source?"

No atm. But I will for sure next year. I have a DIY "balancer". Today I tested it with a couple of Millet Hybrid in a balanced configuration and a HD580 and I wowed :)

The balancer http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/7282/bilanciatorenv0.jpg

Take a look at...

Ahh yeah. I know. The b22 is my first choice atm.

I'm thinking about building a β22 as well, perhaps balanced just for the hell of it. I'm thinking that if I'm going to build something, why not go all the way (despite not currently owning a balanced setup). It's not going to be too expensive either. Hopefully the boards come out before the end of December (the ETA is mid-December I believe) so I can start on the project during my winter vacation.

I'm thinking about building a β22 as well, perhaps balanced just for the hell of it. I'm thinking that if I'm going to build something, why not go all the way (despite not currently owning a balanced setup). It's not going to be too expensive either.

What makes you think it's not going to be expensive? I'd love to see your numbers since in my preliminary estimates I had it in the neighborhood of $600 (4 channels @ ~$100ea + 2 power supplies at ~$100ea) before even thinking about a pot or a case. The cheapest volume control I could come up with would run another $100 and the case(s) would be another $100 easy and I'd be tempted to spend more. So I'm sticking to 3-channel, single ended for now, if I build it at all. I'm not saying it couldn't be done for less but the β22 is going to be one of more expensive DIY designs out there.

What makes you think it's not going to be expensive? I'd love to see your numbers since in my preliminary estimates I had it in the neighborhood of $600 (4 channels @ ~$100ea + 2 power supplies at ~$100ea) before even thinking about a pot or a case. The cheapest volume control I could come up with would run another $100 and the case(s) would be another $100 easy and I'd be tempted to spend more. So I'm sticking to 3-channel, single ended for now, if I build it at all. I'm not saying it couldn't be done for less but the β22 is going to be one of more expensive DIY designs out there.

I was guessing around $800 total, but now that I think about it, oops. Maybe not. Bah.

I made a very conservative estimate too, but with one PSU (are two really needed?). The case is going to be very expansive. The problem is that when I build the active ground configuration I am sure I will think "come on, it is just one more board" :)

BTW What do you think about a Cavalli Kumisa III in balanced config? A balanced no feedback amplifier is something I would like to taste...

I made a very conservative estimate too, but with one PSU (are two really needed?). The case is going to be very expansive. The problem is that when I build the active ground configuration I am sure I will think "come on, it is just one more board" :)

The second PS probably isn't needed but if I was going to go balanced I'd go fully balanced that's the way I'd go. The real impediment in my eyes is the volume control issue along with the case requirements. Going balanced to me means either a 4 gang stepper or 2, 2-gang steppers. Neither of those options is going to be cheap when compared to something a $15 alps pot and probably going to be 10x as expensive. I won't even go into cases as the options are just too numerous and varied to bother, but you're right it's not going to be cheap any way you slice it.

BTW What do you think about a Cavalli Kumisa III in balanced config? A balanced no feedback amplifier is something I would like to taste...

Certainly interesting and definitely more affordable. My biggest hurdle is the complete lack of a balanced source and no plans to do anything about that in the near future. I'm really hoping that my current single-ended project will make me forget about going balanced for a long, long time. Or at least until Headroom builds a balanced Desktop DAC >:D.

There are balanced pots (4 ch) out there. I got one from SFT for about $20.

The Alps Blue is available as a 4ch version - that's a good performance solution at a reasonable price.

Recent searches I've done have turned up nothing in the way of 4-gang pots. Any links would be greatly appreciated.

And as far as I know it SFT's website is pretty much toast, none of the images work anymore and there isn't a link to a parts section like there used to be.

Recent searches I've done have turned up nothing in the way of 4-gang pots. Any links would be greatly appreciated.

And as far as I know it SFT's website is pretty much toast, none of the images work anymore and there isn't a link to a parts section like there used to be.

I don't have a link but I know that HeadRoom use the 4-gang Alps Blue as the standard pot on their stock Balanced Home and now the Balanced Desktop as well (the new pic of course has the optional SA, but that's extra $$'s).