Dark Lord Day 2011

emelius

I'm doing this for my own amusement...but if anyone else wants to add info/pics they should feel free to do so...

also, most of this is being taken from Three Floyds themselves, Hoosier Beer Geek &/or Beer News...if interested, I can provide you with the many twitter accounts associated with those three groups...

to summarize...this pic:

bbavdl.jpg

first indicated that there would be Brandy Barrel Aged Vanilla Bean Dark Lord at this year's Dark Lord Day...

then this pic:

215467_10150151498430764_7209490763_7094441_2523449_n.jpg

on Chicago's MetroMix page suggested that it'd be available in bottles...

& now Beers News posted this story where they report having spoken with Lincoln Anderson from Three Floyds who's said that 666 might be a bit high as far as how many bottles to expect...

Anderson read off some breweries that will have beers there on tap but this is, by no means, a complete tap list:

The Bruery

Pizza Port

Dogfish Head

Founders

Schlafly

Victory

Goose Island

Furthermore

a bunch of Indiana breweries (there may even be an Indiana “section”)

& if you want hear from Barnaby Struve (Vice President of FFF) talk about the event, check this interview out from HBG....

so that should get the ball rolling...i'll probably post some more related links & perhaps some gossip/hearsay/conjecture before zero hour...

Edited by emelius

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's next weekend. I know this because it was on my calendar for over a year. A few months before tickets went on sale, my wife says, 'guess what, honey! You know that project I was working on? It was accepted by the Family Practice Society of Educators something something blah blah! I'm going to New Orleans the last weekend in April to present it at their annual meeting, and probably take a few days to visit New Orleans! Hope you dont mind having the kids for the long weekend.' Oh ... that's great, honey! Congratulations! Grumble grumble. Actually, it's a big deal for her, and I am proud of her. Really. I just can't believe it's the same weekend as Dark Lord Day. One of those mixed, ambivalent 'I'm happy for you' moments.

Edited by jvlgato

Yep, April 30th is the day. And if it's any consolation John, you would not have been allowed in without a ticket. And tickets this year sold out in about 5 minutes. We were running 6 computers among 5 people and I was the only one who got tickets. They had to change it from past years free-for-all as last year they had over 10,000 people attend and the town they are in was not going to tolerate it this year. I'll be there early and hanging for a while but then a bunch of us will be gathering at a friends house for additional libations.

I'm doing this for my own amusement...
Just so you know, you are also doing it for our benefit -- namely, vacariously attending. So please feel free to post as much detail as amuses you. I'm no longer into coffee beers at all*, so Dark Lord itself does not interest me, personally, but the beer part still does.

*I don't know what happened -- some time in the last couple years I got real squeamish about the smell and taste of coffee -- it's almost like I had a bad batch, but I don't drink coffee. So I don't know what it is.

Are Russian Imperial Stouts coffee based? I didn't think so, but I could easily be wrong. No time to look it up now. :confused:

Not necessarily coffee based but can be coffee based, like Dark Lord that has had INTELLIGENTSIA coffee in it (although I don't know if it always does).

From Beer Advocate:

Russian Imperial Stout

Description:

Inspired by brewers back in the 1800's to win over the Russian Czar, this is the king of stouts, boasting high alcohol by volumes and plenty of malt character. Low to moderate levels of carbonation with huge roasted, chocolate and burnt malt flavours. Often dry. Suggestions of dark fruit and flavors of higher alcohols are quite evident. Hop character can vary from none, to balanced to aggressive.

Average alcohol by volume (abv) range: 8.0-12.00% [ ? ]

<snip> ... </snip> And tickets this year sold out in about 5 minutes. We were running 6 computers among 5 people and I was the only one who got tickets. They had to change it from past years free-for-all as last year they had over 10,000 people attend and the town they are in was not going to tolerate it this year. <snip ... </snip>

10,000 people? And I thought Pliny the Younger release at Russian River was crazy. This is insane. (in a good way) B)

Have fun, Mike & Emelius, and whomever else lucky enough to attend.

Edited by agile_one

every year on the night before Dark Lord Day, Flossmoor Station (makers of Hi-Fi Rye & Killer Kapowski) throw a party...it's for those that didn't get tickets & those that want to further increase their risk of alcohol poisoning by attending both events...

strangely, Flossmoor's Brewmaster has just stepped down...hmmm...anyways...

here are some details:

Some changes rolling thru the Station

As many of you have already caught wind of the recent departure, Bryan has stepped down as head brewer here at Flossmoor. I think he simply is ready for a change of pace. He'll still be here (much to my comfort) as I'll be getting trained up to take over as the head brewer. I know there's been a lot of talent to come through here, and Bryan certainly is no exception. I've had the pleasure to work with him here and learn a lot along the way. I'm excited to try and continue the reputation of Flossmoor, both in innovation and quality, and hope my attempts will meet the scrupulous expectations of our well ventured palates out there!

To get onto our little party (it happens to precede a certain "sinister day" at an Indiana brewery), we'll be tapping into some pretty cool beers dug up from our cellars. We'll have 9 taps flowing from our jockey boxes, all of which won't be found behind the bar, starting at 2pm and running until they kick or the village ordinance kicks us out. We'll also be firing up the grill at 4pm, and the live band will start around 5pm. Everything will be outside (so pray for sunshine!) on our back patio, and for those interested in beer swapping, there'll be a nice area to do so by the caboose.

We'll also have our Saison & Garfunkel in bottles and available for purchase. Additionally, we'll have a raffle for our last 12 bottles of the HiFi Rye, with the raffle tickets going for $5.

Alright, here's our list of brews:

Barrel Aged Beelzebeer

Raspberry infused Barrel Aged Beelzebeer

Magnolia Star Malt-Bourbon Liquor (also barrel aged)

Barrel Aged Panama Red

Brett Saison Funkel

Dean's Beans (coffee stout)

Bare Brett (100% brett. fermented)

Rosie Pom (our gold medal for sours from last year's FoBaB)

Colaborative Evil 2010 (Smoked Porter)

I hope to see you there!

Cheers!

Posted by Nick Barron at 12:59 PM

I'll try to post more DLD stuff after work & errands today...cheers....

http://thefullpint.com/beer-news/dark-lord-day-2011-bottle-release-info

Gates open at 10:00 am

The Darklord bottle limit will be 4 bottles per person.

There will be a lottery for extremely limited, hand bottled, hand numbered barrel aged variations. Guests will exchange their event tickets for a Golden Ticket with a scratch off section. If their ticket scratches off as a winner, they will have the opportunity to purchase one bottle of one of the four variations in addition to the 4 bottles of Darklord.

The variations are:

–Darklord aged in Pappy Van Winkle 23 year barrels

–Darklord aged in brandy barrels

–Darklord aged in brandy barrels with vanilla beans

–Darklord de Muerte, DL aged in bourbon barrels with ancho and guajillo peppers

These hand bottled, hand numbered, hand waxed bottles will sell for $50.00.

doesn't seem like there's any conceivable way to get all 4...lucky to get one...sad panda...

Some of our Guest Drafts:

Founders Breakfast Stout, Founders Nemesis, Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout, Founders Backwoods Bastard, Founders Newaygo County Cherry, Founders Devil Dancer, Founders Double Trouble, Victory Smoked & Oats,Victory Headwaters Pale, Victory Braumeister Pils, Schlafly Kolsch, Schlafly Imperial Stout, Van Steenberg Monk’s Ale, Brewdog paradox smokehead, Bells Batch 10,000, Bells Oatmeal Stout, Left Hand TNT weizen doppelbock, Dogfish Head My Antonia, Dogfish Head Worldwide Stout, Dogfish Head Old School Barleywine, Dogfish Head Burton Baton, Ommegang Gnomegang, Bruery Saison De Lente, Bruery Loakal Red, Bruery Old Richland, Goose Island Bourbon County Stout Rare, Schlenkerla Fasten Beer, Schlenkerla Oat Smoke, Schlenkerla Maerzen, Futhermore Knot Stock, Futhermore Oscura, La Rulles Estivale, Aventinus Eisbock, Sierra NevadaOliva Dubbel, Oakshire Heart Shaped Box, Oakshire Imperial Overcast Espresso Stout.  Plus a couple more on the way…

only some haha...

http://hoosierbeergeek.blogspot.com/2011/04/hoosier-beer-geeks-guide-to-dark-lord.html

^^another great guide from the folks over at Hoosier Beer Geek...

EP_beer_final_web.jpg

glad to see this'll be available for purchase...was starting to look like I was going to be walking away from the event with only four bottles of beer...

no one I've arranged trades with should be worried just yet...I have a feeling I'll be able to find more...