Happy Birthday mulveling

purk

Thanks, all!!

I've been far too immersed with work stuff this week to really think about or do much else. Just doing whatever it takes to keep the privilege of my work-from-home, no alarm clocks (hardly) ever lifestyle. However, tonight I will certainly indulge in a concoction of Tannoys, tubes, Koetsus, and high-alcohol content ales!

I've been thinking about new speakers - only because I want a bigger, more efficient version of what I've already got (Kensington SE). These guys pictured below (auditioned a while back) came very close, but didn't quite have the necessary sweetness in the midrange. Also, I hated that teak finish and styling. Next try will be the Tannoy Canterbury SE, when I'm able to pony up some cash.

DSC_1376.JPG

Happy birthday, Mike. Is the toaster still alive and well, or have you parted company with it by now?

Thanks Wayne - funny you mention the toaster. I finally sold it a year/two ago, but as we speak I've got Purk's SDS - THE original toaster - here on loan/audition. I'd love to buy that amp, but to be honest it the investment doesn't make sense without a headphone beyond the HD650. And I'd love to buy the L3000 to go with it, but at that point it's serious money, and I get far more enjoyment from my Tannoy 2ch rig anyways.

Still, I've got to give props to that amp. As cracked out as Mikhail was, and as much damage as he caused to me and (especially) others these past few years, that toaster SDS with 2x 6BX7T and 1x Western Electric 396A remains the best sounding headphone amp I've heard.