May 2/3 - NYC - Stuff to do? Places to visit?

crappyjones123

...Things/Stuff/Places to photograph?

I shall be in nyc on the 2nd and 3rd of May. There are all those bus tours one could take and absent suggestions I might just do that. However, if the locals feel my time might be better spent not doing that, I am open to suggestion. If anyone would like to walk around during the day or perhaps meet up for lunch let me know. Any company would be much appreciated. The last time I was in the city was in 3rd grade so I am looking forward to spending the 2 days walking around. Not into the whole club/bar scene (I don't drink or party). Will be at the mercy of public transportation for getting back to dad's apt in little ferry, nj so kindly suggest time appropriate activities/things to do.

Personal favorite path through NYC - although it is biased towards street photography in the parks and a decent bit of walking.

Start in Brooklyn Bridge Park.

Walk around there down closer to the river a bit. There are great shots of Manhatan bridge, the NYC skyline from brooklyn, and shots down by the river.

After that cross over the brooklyn bridge. There are always tons of people around on the brooklyn bridge.

There are lots of options on this leg but the key is winding up in Washington square park.

This sounds nice:

Walk up center street to Canal street.

Turn left on Canal and walk to 6 ave.

Walk up 6 ave to West 4'th, turn right to Washington square park.

From there make your way over to the corner of Astor place, 8'th st, 4ave. Its fun to shoot around there.

After that walk up 4'th ave to union square.

From Union square park walk up Broadway. This will take you right past the Flatiron building. Its quite an interesting and attractive building. Maddison square park is just across the way from the flatiron building, but IMO there are MUCH better parks for taking people pics. Feel free to prove me wrong though. Its still worth the detour on your way uptown.

From there walk up 5'th avenue (NOT BROADWAY!!!! Stay to the right at the fork opposite the flatiron building) for good views of the empire state building and all the tourists who congregate at its base.

Continue on 5'th avenue up to 42'nd street staying on 5'th avenue. Turn RIGHT for a pretty good view of the Chrysler building.

Turn around, and walk back towards the library. The library has some pretty cool architecture on the outside, and a couple decent photo-ops inside but also a bathroom. They do try to restrict photography in certain areas but thats OK.

Wander through bryant park on the way to times square.

Walk on 42'nd street to times square.

This is a couple miles so far, plus whatever you spend in the various parks so maybe you end your walking trip here and hit central park another day, but if you're feeling up to it:

From times square get on Broadway (top left corner of times square, left at the fork) and continue up to 59'th street. This is the beginning of central park. Enjoy central park. Wander around a bit - the twisty and hilly paths will be a welcome change of scenery from the rest of NYC. I would strongly advise that you get to the bethesda veranda & fountain. Plenty of people hang out here, and the archetectural shots are quite nice too.

If there is still light (or there will still be light when you get there...) head down to the ferry now. The sunset over NJ can be nice.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sitting on my couch for the past hour waiting for our ride because my mom refuses to take a cab or park the car at te airport for a week.

Excited but getting in late so don't know how early ill be able to get out tomorrow morning but I think I'll do the trail you suggested ari. Still need to figure out how to get home once I take the ferry to staten island. Probably just take it back and retrace my steps through other parts of manhattan. If a more efficient route is available im all ears.

Excited but getting in late so don't know how early ill be able to get out tomorrow morning but I think I'll do the trail you suggested ari. Still need to figure out how to get home once I take the ferry to staten island. Probably just take it back and retrace my steps through other parts of manhattan. If a more efficient route is available im all ears.

Yes, just take the ferry back to NYC.

You have to get off of the one ferry, and get onto a different one but its easy.

Once your back in NYC I would take the subway.

Fair warning:

The brooklyn bridge to ~86 st is a little over 7 miles BEFORE you account for any wandering in the parks.

Just got to my dad's place a little while ago. He got back from China day before yesterday after a month and a half. We didn't get to talk for long as he was already asleep when we arrived. Am not feeling well - allergies or smog or something is bothering the piss out of my throat and nose. Hopefully I'll be better tomorrow. However, I just got checked the grades and all A's so far. Only this morning's grade remains so quite pleased with the way the vacation has started. Couple of days walking around and then will head down to University Park to attend my sister's graduation.

I will probably do the outdoors tomorrow. Day after the weather is supposed to be yucky so will probably take the buses/trains around to various museums, libraries, burger joints etc and keep things indoors.