Is the iMod a ripoff?

ron mexico

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While things maybe taken to the extreme here, it's no doubt a reaction the the idea that everything is puppy dogs and sunshine over there. You can't tell someone what you really think because it's viewed as a personal attack. So there's no way to self-police over there... If someone's being a douchebag, he or she can continue to do so without ever being told they are, in fact, being a douchebag. So things don't change, and the signal to noise ratio goes way down.

in the words of sick boy, "beautifully fucking illustrated." ;D

Sure, over here we tend to get to loud, we get to profane, we get to mean, but its because this is a reactionary forum, started to provide a place for open honest discussion about headphone related audio gear.

I still click the "new posts" button to check out what is going on at head-fi, and I love the marketplace, and of course the archives are an incredibly valuable resource for anyone with half a brain and an ounce of discerning ability, but for the most part I don't even try to correct someone when they make some egregious claim about a piece of gear they don't even know shit about. And this is sad, because bullshit goes unchecked, and tons of newcomers to the hobby buy bullshit gear, get bad sound, and then fall out, where if they would stay in for the long haul, they would spend more money, learn more, and become a greater asset to the community and thus grow the fucking hobby, and isn't that what all the draconian moderation measures are about anyway tyrion? For the sake of the hobby, to grow the hobby, to get major manufacters involved in the hobby, to get more money in the hobby? Hell man, I'm all fucking for it! I don't whine about how great headphones used to be because I'm focused on what I've got today, and am excited about what the future holds. But a consumer demographic filled with ill-informed newbie twits does not long money make. Short money, sure, but if the Head-Fi philosphy really is focused on the long game like Tyll and others are, then HF sponsors need to be allowed to take the punishment dealt out to them by the end consumer, and hopefully then either change their product or business practices for the better of the community or go out of business. Its called a free fucking market.

I tend to think this place, at times, resembles a school yard and there are one or two that play

the part of the little punk that stands behind the big bully and takes his shots or maybe a better descripion

would be that they act like little girls that act tough because they are sitting behind their computers

and feel safe. However, for the most part the people here are generally okay. They have some

issues with Head-Fi but I've found I can mostly have a reasonable discussion with them. Believe me

as a Mod at Head-Fi, I don't get a free ride. You just need to understand the ground rules going in.

As they say, sorry about your thin skin.

I think it's the opposite actually. On the school yard kids can make wild and provocative statements and then run to the teachers for protection. It doesn't matter who's right, who's wrong and who started it. The teachers tell off all involved and if they don't like you you'll be suspended or expelled. Even in more normal circumstances teachers will tell you what's appropriate and what's not and instruct you to tuck your shirt in if it takes their fancy. Teachers do get a hard time at school of course, much like being a mod at head-fi I'm sure. The thing is, people grow up, mature and leave school. When people mature you expect a certain degree of life experience and for them to know how to behave. If people act like idiots then they will be told as such.

As far as t.rose goes, I'd like to draw your attention to an earlier post he made describing how he wished we were all at school and he could stuff some of us in out lockers. Rather ironic given your analogy.

oh, the Socratic irony! thank you for that laugh.

First, nice edit to my post. Second, I'm glad I could give you something to laugh about. I'm

not sure what was funny about that but I'm glad you got a kick out of it.

While things maybe taken to the extreme here, it's no doubt a reaction the the idea that everything is puppy dogs and sunshine over there. You can't tell someone what you really think because it's viewed as a personal attack. So there's no way to self-police over there... If someone's being a douchebag, he or she can continue to do so without ever being told they are, in fact, being a douchebag. So things don't change, and the signal to noise ratio goes way down. asshat extraordinaire is viewed the way his is because nobody was able to smack some sense into him, and as a result, his antics continue to grate on people. When finally given the opportunity to vent about it, it should be a surprise that the response is loud and clear. I'd guess the dynamics of a smaller forum like this is what makes things work as well as they do here (and IMO, they do work here), and things could get out of line quickly with a bigger forum. But I think the dynamic here is great, and the self-policing by members is what keeps the signal to noise ration so high here.

Why wouldn't it work. You can say anything you want about anyone or anything you want. Anything goes, why wouldn't it work. If someone doesn't like it or can't take it they leave. However, that's not how society works generally. Anything doesn't go. You could but probably don't say anything you want about anyone or anything you want other than on someplaces on the internet. Nothing wrong with that, it's not quite a free country anymore but free enough so a place like this can exist. The real challenge is trying to have an internet site where rules do apply. It's hard to police it and for some it's hard to participate in it.

I think it's the opposite actually. On the school yard kids can make wild and provocative statements and then run to the teachers for protection. It doesn't matter who's right, who's wrong and who started it. The teachers tell off all involved and if they don't like you you'll be suspended or expelled. Even in more normal circumstances teachers will tell you what's appropriate and what's not and instruct you to tuck your shirt in if it takes their fancy. Teachers do get a hard time at school of course, much like being a mod at head-fi I'm sure. The thing is, people grow up, mature and leave school. When people mature you expect a certain degree of life experience and for them to know how to behave. If people act like idiots then they will be told as such.

The ones that go run to the teacher are like the ones that act like the tough guy because they are behind a keyboard.

Funny how the only t.rose apologists happen to be the two biggest douchebags left on Head-case.

I didn't apologize for him. I was serious what I said about him in the first paragraph. By the way, you

are one of the possibly two little girls that love to call people names because you are safe and sound

behind your computer.

I didn't apologize for him. I was serious what I said about him in the first paragraph.

Sure you didn't, you lying asshole.

asshat extraordinaire, I don't think you should have been treated the way you have, in this thread at least. I didn't read

whatever had come from before other than your first post. If you had bothered to see what you were

getting into here before posting you might have taken a different approach (including not becoming

a member. Right or wrong (mostly wrong, imo) this is what this place is about.

In your own words, we're just a bunch of assholes who enjoy ganging up on t.rose, who obviously doesn't deserve the abuse.

Of course, you'll now claim that's not what you meant, as usual, as you've done many times in the past.

By the way, you are one of the possibly two little girls that love to call people names because you are safe and sound behind your computer.

Uh-huh, you keep telling yourself that. I'm sure it helps you to sleep at night to believe that Head-case members are insecure meanies who get off by insulting people from behind the safety of a computer screen.

Sure you didn't, you lying asshole.

In your own words, we're just a bunch of assholes who enjoy ganging up on t.rose, who obviously doesn't deserve the abuse.

Of course, you'll now claim that's not what you meant, as usual, as you've done many times in the past.

Uh-huh, you keep telling yourself that. I'm sure it helps you to sleep at night to believe that Head-case members are insecure meanies who get off by insulting people from behind the safety of a computer screen.

I said one or two. I said that I have no issues with most of the others that post here. You happen to be one of the two. I said that he needs to have a thick skin to post here. Do you disagree? I told him he should have read a little before posting so he knows how things work. Isn't that what someone else suggested as well? I said what I said, you are free to interpret it anyway you want. "Insecure meany", I don't know if you are or not. I just believe you act like a punk and probably are a punk. I could be wrong but that's my impression of you.

My post was changed as I didn't use the terms, "asshat extrodinaire".

if you're referring to the "t rose" change to "asshat extraordinaire" in your post that's a wordfilter.

Understood. I've never seen one used that way.

I think he was getting at the fact that your paragraph could just as easily, and perhaps more legitimately, be applied to how things are run on Head-Fi. ;)

You know, people might not like how it's run, or the rules and how they are applied. But I don't go around calling people names because I can. If someone interprets what I do at Head-Fi as acting like a punk hiding behind a bully because I am behind a computer than that is nuts but nothing I say or do will change it. By the way, I've been to meets all over the country. If someone doesn't like what I say or do, then they can tell me to my face. I would have no problem discussing it with anyone. I spend most of my time at meets talking anyway. My references to the school yard are the name calling, piling on, etc. that goes on here. There is nothing wrong with arguing or discussing an issue. There is something wrong with the way some people attack others here, imo. I see a big difference between the two. And again, my references to that were directed to one or two.

no, Tyrion, your post was not edited.

Like I already said, I didn't realize it was a word filter.

I just believe you act like a punk and probably are a punk. I could be wrong but that's my impression of you.

The feeling is mutual. You've proven to be a shameless bullshitting asshole on Head-case, I can pull up a few RSA apologist threads among other things so that everyone can see your bullshitting all over again. You act like an asshole and I don't like you, so take you shit and shove it down your throat.

The feeling is mutual. You've proven to be a shameless bullshitting asshole on Head-case, I can pull up a few RSA apologist threads among other things so that everyone can see your bullshitting all over again. You act like an asshole and I don't like you, so take you shit and shove it down your throat.

What a shock.

I didn't apologize for him. I was serious what I said about him in the first paragraph. By the way, you

are one of the possibly two little girls that love to call people names because you are safe and sound

behind your computer.

Yesterday Aerius started the "Impressions: Dream CD Players" thread. A very informative and interesting read talking about genuinely good equipment and containing detailed and well reasoned impressions. T.rose of course started the infamous "for sale" threads listing items not especially well regarded and doing his usual hyperbole and grandstanding. It seems to me that your concept evaluating the value of posters is somewhat flawed to say the least. To much time spent in a moderation mindset evaluating posters by how insulting their comments are perhaps?

This is definitely not a forum for those with thin skin but I don't see any problem with that, the signal to noise ratio is very good. There's more than one way to run a forum and I fail to see how running a place like this in the way you are implying would make things here any better. I'd suggest it's quite the opposite in fact.

You know, people might not like how it's run, or the rules and how they are applied. But I don't go around calling people names because I can. If someone interprets what I do at Head-Fi as acting like a punk hiding behind a bully because I am behind a computer than that is nuts but nothing I say or do will change it. By the way, I've been to meets all over the country. If someone doesn't like what I say or do, then they can tell me to my face. I would have no problem discussing it with anyone. I spend most of my time at meets talking anyway. My references to the school yard are the name calling, piling on, etc. that goes on here. There is nothing wrong with arguing or discussing an issue. There is something wrong with the way some people attack others here, imo. I see a big difference between the two. And again, my references to that were directed to one or two.

This was what he quoted: "I tend to think this place, at times, resembles a school yard and there are one or two that play

the part of the little punk that stands behind the big bully and takes his shots or maybe a better descripion

would be that they act like little girls that act tough because they are sitting behind their computers

and feel safe."

Nothing about calling people names because you can. He explained what he meant in a later post if you don't follow. I wouldn't take this personally as I don't believe the redirect of your comment was being directed squarely [or at least solely] at you.

If you are trying to tell me that, as a moderator on head-fi, you haven't seen any petty/bitchy behavior on the part of certain mods/admins/owners, I think you might need to open your eyes. ;)

This was what he quoted: "I tend to think this place, at times, resembles a school yard and there are one or two that play

and feel safe."

Nothing about calling people names because you can. He explained what he meant in a later post if you don't follow. I wouldn't take this personally as I don't believe the redirect of your comment was being directed squarely [or at least solely] at you.

If you are trying to tell me that, as a moderator on head-fi, you haven't seen any petty/bitchy behavior on the part of certain mods/admins/owners, I think you might need to open your eyes. ;)

Jason, I don't take any of it personally. If I did I wouldn't post over here. I've seen all kind of people act petty/bitchy at times. However, that doesn't make them petty/bitchy. No one is perfect. I see a bunch of moderators that for the most part try to do the best they can and as I've said before don't get it right all the time. If you think for a minute that I do anything when I moderate that has anything to do with a corporate sponsor or because of one, you are the one that needs to open your eyes because that couldn't be farther from the truth. I can't speak for all the mods or what they do on every occasion but I can say that they all want Head-Fi to be a place where anyone can join in and not be intimidated because they might be new and say something others may consider to be stupid.

I see a bunch of moderators that for the most part try to do the best they can and as I've said before don't get it right all the time.
Agreed.
If you think for a minute that I do anything when I moderate that has anything to do with a corporate sponsor or because of one, you are the one that needs to open your eyes because that couldn't be farther from the truth.
No, I don't believe that you do. There are those that are guilty of this however.
I can't speak for all the mods or what they do on every occasion but I can say that they all want Head-Fi to be a place where anyone can join in and not be intimidated because they might be new and say something others may consider to be stupid.
If you thin that is what is happening here you are mistaken. Like it or not, this forum and the other one are linked. This has been payback for him being a complete idiot over there, and it has been a long time coming. The fact that nobody is allowed to raise their voice on Head-Fi means it is all coming out now with a certain fierceness. ;)

I can't speak for all the mods or what they do on every occasion but I can say that they all want Head-Fi to be a place where anyone can join in and not be intimidated because they might be new and say something others may consider to be stupid.

I've always felt that this was one of head-fi's biggest problems. Sure, sure, I may seem like an ass when I say I've become increasingly annoyed with the newer members of head-fi, but i bet a lot of people would agree with me. the number of inane posts that populate head-fi makes my head spin. that's what's so nice about this place...there's no fake acceptance of people because we're forced to. if we don't like you, we let you know, and it's up to you to deal with it.

Hey asshole, why don't you go back to Head-fi and do your fucking job? Drarthorwells has made a fucking habit out of shilling shit along with ridiculing and intimidating other members, and it's all fucking documented. You make all sorts of high & lofty claims about "making Head-fi a better place", but frankly, the results suck, in fact the place gets filled with more stinking turds with each passing day. Don't presume to tell us how to do our jobs when you can't even take care of your own backyard.

If you thin that is what is happening here you are mistaken. Like it or not, this forum and the other one are ]

Trust me, this site isn't payback for anything. You can choose to believe that but it's not. The only thing that links the two sites is that there are people here that post there and there are people here that aren't permitted to post there. I understand the underpinnings to this site (at least I think I do) and some of the criticism is appropriate and some is not, imo. Plenty of people post at Head-Fi without the need to raise there voice. In the end it's just a website, like this is or take your pick. I happen to enjoy it mostly for the friends I've made through it. People can choose the way they want to criticize someone or something. You can do it like an adult or you can do it other ways. It's your (not referring to you) choice. I don't have to agree with it anymore than you don't have to agree with me.

Trust me, this site isn't payback for anything. You can choose to believe that but it's not. The only thing that links the two sites is that there are people here that post there and there are people here that aren't permitted to post there. I understand the underpinnings to this site (at least I think I do) and some of the criticism is appropriate and some is not, imo. Plenty of people post at Head-Fi without the need to raise there voice. In the end it's just a website, like this is or take your pick. I happen to enjoy it mostly for the friends I've made through it. People can choose the way they want to criticize someone or something. You can do it like an adult or you can do it other ways. It's your (not referring to you) choice. I don't have to agree with it anymore than you don't have to agree with me.

put a mot tag on sovkiller.