IC Recommendations

postjack

Looks like I'll be getting a new source (Modwright Sony 999es), and as such I need some longer ICs to run from the source to my PPX3. I'm thinking in the length of 5-6feet, from one side of my desk to the other. I've used Blue Jeans Cables before and they are fine, but I was wondering if there are any other ICs worth checking out in that range.

Just give me a couple names and I'll do some research. The world of IC's is dense and scary.

Here is a pic of my listening area to better give you an idea of what I'm doing:

desk005tp3.jpg

well, grover does have bad business practices.. but i can't argue with the sound and value of the UR8. also the chimera stuff is pretty good.

The UR8 are over $100 for 1 meter. BJC is about $30, I don't know if he has a strict budget to stay in the price range.

In the range of BJC, you're probably better off making your own. Signal Cable might be a bit more expensive.

Some options in the over $100 price range (for 1 meter, I'm guessing you'll need 1.5m):

Grover S or UR8

HomeGrown Audio Silver Spirit

Kimber PBJ or Hero

Guerrila Audio Copper

just off the top of my head.

I suggest the Dimarzio M-Paths or Grover Huffman's UR8 or his new "S" cable. I think they all cost $150 for 1 meter pair and offer great SQ at a reasonable price. In fact, regardless of price I liked the UR8s better than the Cardas Neutral Reference cables I just sold.

Recently Grover sent me a replacement S cable after reading my comments on Head-Fi. I've only had them a few days, but they are more pleasing to my ear than the initial "S" cables I got some time ago. I don't know if these are a custom job or consistent with the way he's now making all his "S" cables.

I've been meaning to try something called Anti-Cables -- I've heard good things about them at, for example, audiokarma.org.

Interesting..."Their ability to time align the music's transient events (eliminate time smearing) makes them more transparent, dynamic and "life like" than any other cable I have ever heard."

That bit of marketing copy is worth $100 cables for sure.... O0

Looking at the photos, there's no way those are shielded. But why would you want shielded anyway? Almost no ICs are shielded.

Are we talking about the same thing with 'shielding'? I thought basically all interconnects were sheidled to avoid RF and EMI problems that can be relevant in such high impedance circuits?

Am I right in thinking that the IC's are unshielded, based on their description and appearance of being identical to the speaker cables with a higher gauge wire?
I didn't realize that, but based on the pictures, I agree that there's no way there's a shielded.

And yes, I like shielded. We live in a RF-dirty world. There are quite a few high-end cables that aren't shielded, but for every one that you can cite, I can probably find one that is. I know the Outlaws are shielded. And there's no excuse for not shielding a balanced cable.

But I still intend to try them. The lack of shielding may be outweighed by everything else, if it is as good as it says it is.

And yes, those pics are hot.