(Yet another) circumaural closed headphone thread

shellylh

I'll send you my pair of AKG K550's.  I'm not smitten with them, but you wanted to try them at one point.  I think you'll like them -- they're like the closed equivalents of the 580's.  And as comfy.

Tried these out, they were pretty decent.  However, I think I may have a similar siutation with Shelly in that they hung low over my ears, even with cups up the farthest they can go on headband.

Having little to no hair doesn't help, either!

@Larry:  I tried and don't like the D7000. 

Tried these out, they were pretty decent.  However, I think I may have a similar siutation with Shelly in that they hung low over my ears, even with cups up the farthest they can go on headband.

Having little to no hair doesn't help, either!

Yep, this is the problem I have with a lot.  The hang below my jawline so I cannot get a fit even by bending the headband.

It's easy to bend the metal arcs to get the perfect fit.  :)

These are way too long, they go far below my jawline. Too bad because they were great. 

I'll send you my pair of AKG K550's.  I'm not smitten with them, but you wanted to try them at one point.  I think you'll like them -- they're like the closed equivalents of the 580's.  And as comfy.

Thanks Dusty, but I think I am going to pass on these, especially since Tyll says they are not as good as the D2000 and they tend to be very large (they will probably hang too low for me). 

Shelly, you might want to consider ear buds.  At work in cubicles, I used PK2's for music.  When playing, I couldn't hear outside noise and nobody else could hear my music.  When I needed to converse, all I had to do was pause the music.

That is something I may think about.  I'll try out the gym PK1s to see how they do. 

Edited by shellylh

Got a 600ohm HD250Mk1 driver today to fix my pair that was collecting dust for several years. I got lucky since drivers were perfectly matched (there are more than 1 versions).

They seem to be even better than the Mk2s and more worthy of the "Linear" writing on the sides (smoother, better balanced, so more detail and even bigger soundstage)
So might be the best closed phone I've ever heard (and that's mainly because they do not not sound like a closed headphone...at all) but I will need to do some comparisons first.

I haven't considered getting a separate amp for dynamic headphones, but now I definitely do
As the Lavry hp out is really not doing them too much justice (they are 'ok' Mytek 192 hp out just seems much better, not nearly as veiled).

So, what should be the best for 600 ohm load? I can easily go balanced as well.
I tried a GLite DPS with Mk2s and it was not a very good match.