(Yet another) circumaural closed headphone thread

shellylh

I am thinking of getting another pair of AKG K271 again.  I used to own them and mostly liked them.  I think I remember that they were not quite as smooth as I would have liked in the treble and many a tiny bit lacking in bass but overall them were pretty neutral and very comfortable.  

Is there another pair of closed (full sized, comfortable) headphones that I should look at?  I have the a pair of Thunderpants but don't love them and would like something more neutral.  I have a couple of supra-aural cans (Sennheiser Momentum and Audio Technica ESW9) and I am not interested in those. I guess I also have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-900ltd that I let Tim use.   I also would prefer not to spend a ton. 

I have tried and don't really (for fit or sound): Shure 840 (hurts the top of my head), Thunderpants (sound is not neutral enough for me), Denon 2000 and others (too much flabby bass), Beyer 770 (too boomy), Senn 280pro (too boring and not so comfortable), Ultrasone something or other, Audio Techinca ATH-A900ltd, ATH-W5000 (way way too big), ATH-2000X (too shrill),  AKG K340 (if one considers these closed - too big), JVC DX1000 (weird)...

Edited by shellylh

I have tried the Momentum recently and it's quite nice. By that I mean that it's a closed circum-aural that doesn't suck, and that in itself is impressive. Pretty typical Senn-like tonality (by which I mean more HD600/650 than HD800), very nice bass and mids, and highs that are a bit unrefined but not harsh or grating at all. It can also do soundstage fairly nicely, it doesn't suffer from a congested in-your-head sort of sound at all. I don't think it's audiophile grade, it doesn't have the transparency or resolution, but it's not far off.

The biggest negative was the size of the earcups, if you're team melonhead or have large ears, they may not seal properly, and while overall clamping force is OK, there isn't enough clamping force at the bottom of the earcup. So, they're not exactly comfortable, but passable.

Build quality is upscale and the looks are elegant, which is pretty rare with today's flash and glitz teeny bopper headphones.

I think IEMs give you better resolution, but if you want headphones, this is not a bad way to go.

I have the Momentum and it is ok but not quite neutral enough for my tastes.  Plus it gets a bit uncomfortable after a while (it is like a circumaural headphone for me but my ears touch on the inside which gets a bit uncomfortable).  I think it would be more comfortable if it were supra-aural.  I also have a pair of Audio Technica ESW9. 

IEMS sound great (I have JH13 and Ety ER4P) but sometimes I don't want to wear them. 

I haven't looked into the Sony MDR-1R yet so that might be something. 

Edited by shellylh

I've been hunting for a similar closed mid priced phone for the past year. I've tried or owned the usual suspects. The only one that didn't sound mid-fi was the Shure SRH-940. I don't think Tyll liked it, but to me, it sounds very close to the HD800 (not being dramatic here). The HD800 beats it in all areas, but I was pretty surprised how close it came when first hearing it (amped). The headband is different than the 840 I believe. A small spike in the treble region is the only sound issue I have (same issue with the 800). 

The Shure's are also relatively neutral sounding. Did I mention they are DETAILED? 

Anyway, the down side is they are huge and ugly and the plastic tends to crack and break. Isolation is pretty good. 

YMMV

Edited by robm321

I am assuming that the 940 would fall off my head (the 840s were too big for me I think).  They also didn't look very comfortable (very Senn 280 pro or Ultrasone) .  For reference, the HD800s are too big for me and the HD650/600/580 fit me great.  Otherwise they sound like what I am looking for.

From Sennheiser HD250 Linear I and IIs are still the best for me, as comfy as HD600s (maybe pleather a bit sweaty when it's really hot) but with real isolation and very big soundstage, I've heard the Shures and Denons and these are far better. Although the sound is a bit V-shaped and the bass is a little boomy but it is possible to adjust.
Open headphones are better for me now (especially if they are electrostatic) but I still take them out sometimes, recently tried with the Mytek 192 DSD and I've never heard them sounding this good (Lavry hp out seems to be weak for them)

Plus: they are very durable, more so than any other headphone I've tried (interchangeable cable, headband fits nicely from the HD202 etc.)

Edited by padam

Audio Technicas are out.  

SR4070 are great (I borrowed Al's at some point) but they do not touch my head unless I hold up my arms to clamp them to my head.  That might be kinda tiring (to hold up my arms for hours).   I suppose I could also get a big rubber band to keep them on my head as well....

I'll take a look at the Sennheiser HD250

Edited by shellylh

Shelly, If your budget allowed you don't need portable I would say get a used pair of Denon D7000 (much better than D2000/5000).

I'm curious, what did you not like about the ATH-A900 LTD?  I thought they were a little better than a stock Denon D2000 when plaidplatypus brought his over for a mini-meet, although bass detail still wasn't the greatest.  I own a pair of modified ATH-A900 but not LTD, which are modded with an SPC cable and internal felt dampening, and I still think my V-MODA M-100 bass is faster and better controlled.  Plus the ATH-A900 mids are not nearly as engaging as the M-100, although the ATH-A900 has a little more treble presence.  From what I recall, my modded ATH-A900 were very similar to plaidplatypus's LTD, but they are still not as smooth and relaxing as the V-MODA M-100.  I haven't used the A900 or compared them to the M-100 in several months, so my memory of how the A900 sounds is fading.  Maybe we feel the same way about the A900, not sucky but more "meh..." than wow.

You could consider the Sony MDR-1 as Tyll suggested.  I liked the Sony MDR-1 over the Momentum at RMAF, but they both seemed a little boosted in the bass like the M-100 while at the same time not sounding as smooth and relaxing.  I really wish I had been able to spend more time with them when I had the chance.

Then there is the V-MODA M-100.  I did spend a lot of time with these at RMAF and I was happy to pay full price to buy the demo pair after I did a review.  While I really enjoy my M-100, they aren't what I would call neutral either - however, they still remind me a little of an HD650 with a slight veil along with additional bass extension and impact.  I find the M-100 to be very comfortable physically for long periods, and not fatiguing in their sound either.  Some people would say the M-100 are slightly dark sounding, but I don't think they are any darker than an LCD-2 rev1.  I'm listening to them right now with iPad 4 and Amanda Palmer Sings Popular Songs of Radiohead on her Magical Ukelele, and I'm very happy with the sound.

SR4070 are great (I borrowed Al's at some point) but they do not touch my head unless I hold up my arms to clamp them to my head.  That might be kinda tiring (to hold up my arms for hours).   I suppose I could also get a big rubber band to keep them on my head as well....

It's easy to bend the metal arcs to get the perfect fit.  :)