Phone camera to replace digital camera? Samsung Galaxy Camera disappointing

Jon L

I was at the Verizon store, trying to undo a Verizon mess-up (what else is new?).  It gave me a chance to scope out my next phone, upon which I will be placing a large emphasis on *good* camera performance, as I tire of carrying a real camera to various casual events.

My prime candidate, the Samsung Galaxy Camera, was heavily disappointing.  It was MUCH larger and heavier than any phone OR compact camera I've owned, not to mention the ugliest.  It's like they literally took a phone and camera and fused them without weight or size savings.  The 21x zoom lens was not bad even zoomed all the way out as far as IQ and focus speed, but it looked ludicrous when zoomed out.  Considering it only has the usual 1/2.3" size sensor, larger than usual phone but same as run-of-the-mill point-and-shoot, this phone should have been smaller and lighter.  

Nokia Lumia 1020 is a candidate with its larger 1/1.5" sensor but why 41.3 MP??  Verizon does not even carry it, and I would like to stick to Android anyway.  Any other candidates?  

10426482844_eb96f8e432_z.jpg
Galaxycam1 by drjlo2, on Flickr

10426515225_869f02ef78_z.jpg
Galaxycam2 by drjlo2, on Flickr
Edited by Jon L

That Samsung phone/camera thing looks to be every bit as cumbersome as just having two pieces that do the job they were intended to do.  I really cannot see this type of thing catching on.  I would drop the shit out of that thing using it as a phone.

If you really try to streamline it for ergonomics, you would most likely sacrifice sensor size and/or quality of glass.

I do not know you personally, but I'll just ask anyway:  when you are out, do you answer calls and take pictures frequently enough to where changing them depending on situation becomes a pain, or are you just trying to reduce the things you have on you?  I very rarely answer my phone (because most people know that I hate talking on the phone), so if I am out and using a camera, I have it in my hands all the time, and it is never a bother.  I am guessing that is not you?

Edited by roadtonowhere08

this is the fugliest product of the year in my book. and the most useless combination of 2 products/functions ever made. i wouldnt touch it with a 10 feet pole. Unless ofcourse samsung drop the price to 100 then it becomes a novelty but again its not happening.

someone in samsung needs to get their asses booted for releasing this terrible product

when you are out, do you answer calls and take pictures frequently enough to where changing them depending on situation becomes a pain, or are you just trying to reduce the things you have on you?  I very rarely answer my phone (because most people know that I hate talking on the phone), so if I am out and using a camera, I have it in my hands all the time, and it is never a bother.  I am guessing that is not you?

I need to have a phone with me at all times, partly due to work-related obligations.  Thus, carrying a separate camera, even point-and-shoot becomes a chore, which then encourages not carrying one, which has caused a ton of missed photo opportunities for me.  I may have to wait until Verizon decides to carry a version of Nokia Lumia 1020 (1028?) next year, or that Samsung S4 looked quite nice, too.

While I don't have one, what's wrong with an iphone? If you really need zoom, then it is better to have a separate camera.

My tubby fingers just cannot deal with iPhone's 4" screen.  Unless iPhone goes to at least a 4.6" screen, it's no go for me.  I actually would prefer a non-zoom, fixed lens on my phone camera, ideally with a fast aperture (f/2.2 like Lumia 1020) and as large a sensor as would fit.  1/1.5" sensor like Lumia 1020 would give me decent utility in low light, just enough to let me leave aps-c or full frame cameras home.

I was in a Verizon store yesterday as well, and looked the the Galaxy Camera.  The thing was blazing hot to the touch, and the screen was blank, even though it was clearly on, lens extended, and would take pictures when the shutter button was depressed.  Ergonomically it's not bad, but yeah, it's definitely a far cry from an idea convergence of phone and camera.

I don't think the Sony QX line is really the answer, either.  At that point, having to deal with a wireless connection, separate battery, and large clunky item to lug around in addition to my phone, I'd just as soon keep using an advanced compact linked to my smartphone via Eye-Fi, as I've done for quite a while.

I think Nokia is the closest to the real answer, but who really wants a Windows Phone at this point?  If the 1020 ran Android, I'd have been quite tempted to check it out.  Big sensor, image stabilization, fast prime lens, and even RAW (on the upcoming successor model), along with a camera-grip accessory.

When will we see a similar camera or better on an OS people actually care about (iOS or Android)?  Who knows.  Hopefully sooner rather than later.

^ Let me know how that conversation goes - I highly doubt my wife would agree to me buying another interchangeable lens camera because the camera on my phone isn't great.

OR... I can just buy the A7r and tell my life it was a $200 point-and-shoot. Heck, she won't know the difference.