ECP Audio

jimmyb233

I'd say that while the L-2 works very well with the HD800s, the other amps do, too. They are all a little different of course, but they also all utilize things that I like (transformers, no feedback, short tightly controlled signal current loops) so they are not that different. HD800s are my headphones of choice these days, and I have happily used all of these amps.

There is still one BD. It is out on a short term loan to someone who wanted to photograph it. So while it is being sold "as new", it comes with a 10% discount. And it can be returned if it does not meet your expectations, though it does have to come back in like new condition.

I am also working on a few new things, at least one or two of which should see the light of day. However, while the BD was designed to be a less expensive amp than the DSHA-1/L-2, the new ones are not. They use considerably more expensive parts and are much more labor intensive to assemble. The hope is to have a prototype or two ready for the NYC area meet in mid November and amps ready to sell in early 2015. We'll see.

Doug, Is that the last BD?

I could potentially try that out, Jack, I have both.  Unfortunately, probably can't get to it for several days.....a bunch of evening plans, plus it means reconfiguring two systems.

I have tried the BD with Doug's prototype USB DAC and with the Auralic Vega (using it now with the latter, Auralic balanced out to KGSS, S/E out to BD).

I could potentially try that out, Jack, I have both.  Unfortunately, probably can't get to it for several days.....a bunch of evening plans, plus it means reconfiguring two systems.

I have tried the BD with Doug's prototype USB DAC and with the Auralic Vega (using it now with the latter, Auralic balanced out to KGSS, S/E out to BD).

That would be supercool, if it interests you to try it out.

I've never heard the black diamond but the Neko DAC is most unique DAC i've owned. very dark and effortless, and i mean dark in a good way.

i also want to say "grain free" but i hate it so much when i read that in a review.

Yeah it would be fantastic if there more impressions regarding the Black Diamond in general.  I've done quite a bit of research and can only find a handful of posts that could be considered as such.  Even the ECP thread over yonder is devoid of any real solid impressions on the BD, let alone ones comparing it with the DSHA-1 and L-2.

At this point I'm definitely open to the BD.  I've had one gentleman contact me considering selling his L-2 but nothing has been finalized yet.  I'm also eyeballing the Ragnarok assuming it actually gets released for sale to the public anytime soon.  I thought I had read somewhere that Doug was down to his last BD unit for sale, however I read that almost a month ago and his ordering page is still up and the BD can be added to the shopping cart.

Just FYI whatever I buy I'll be pairing with the HD800, hence why I've been so interested in the L-2 as of late.

FWIW, If the HD800 was my only headphone, I would be more than happy with the BD.

Edited by jimmyb233

OK, been a while coming, and I only listened to about 1 1/2 CD's carefully.....

But the Neko D-100 Mk II --> Black Diamond --> Senn 800 is nearly brilliant!

Jack, your description of dark and effortless for the Neko is pretty spot on IMO.  Combining it with the BD yields more of that same impact.  I DO think there may be a very slight midrange presence/push, but it makes listening to vocals quite nice IMO.

I listened to some cuts from the following CD's:

• Livingston Taylor - Ink - excellent recording by the Chesky folks, Liv's voice front and center and super-clear.  Plucked guitar strings, percussion, all pretty transparent and spacious, with the vox still a bit forward.  But it's a close-mic'd recording on the vox so I expect that.  Effortless is a great word to use here, the music just blossoms out of space
  • Loreena McKennitt - An Ancient Muse - more loveliness in voice, not quite as forward as LT but MAYBE a bit more forward than I'm used to.  Some good tight bass, an wonderful varied assortment of instruments (including a nice hurdy-gurdy), and a fairly spacious recording.  My Auralic goes even deeper for presence and space, but the Neko at almost 1/3 the price is just great
  • Shpongle - Nothing Lasts....But Nothing is Lost - great dynamics, high end clean and extended but not too harsh; maybe some tiny roll-off in very highest frequencies (could also be my hearing, last i was measured about 1.5 years ago I heard OK up to only ~17kHz, maybe 4+ years before that i was at almost 20kHz!).  Recording doesn't do a ton for acoustic space, but little sounds placed all over the limited headstage were reproduced quite clearly

All in all a great combination I'd say.  I was wondering if this would be too much of a good thing, that maybe something (like the grain-free you mention, Jack) might be too much if both units had it.  But I think the BD keeps all the strengths of the design, but doesn't exacerbate anything that could make it a bad combo.

Now that I've moved the BD amp to the system with the Neko, I may keep it there and listen more this weekend.....but wanted to get the very good first thoughts out.

Edited by skullguise
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I still regret til this day not purchasing Doug last L2 when I had the chance.  At the time, I didn't have the HD800 and my Gilmore Balanced Reference was just as good at driving my R10 & Qualia.  I'm sure the L2 will take an upper hand with higher impedance such as the HD800.  Wonder how GSX-MKII and L2 will compare when driving the HD800.