How to make people think You're A Shill

grawk

Who's guilty? ???

I assumed you received something for free from CattyLink based upon your kiss reply to Biggies comment. If I am wrong, my apologies.

Here's a report for you.

So many reports! :D

I've heard the Bada PH12 and some of the other shit which Artfuck peddles.

Is that other shit also include the E5 or the Saturn? Curious

I assumed you received something for free from CattyLink based upon your kiss reply to Biggies comment. If I am wrong, my apologies.
You are not wrong in your assumption, but I don't feel I have anything to be guilty about. I never shilled a product for Cattylink and did not ask for anything in return for my honest positive opinions which I gave on the Eastsound CD-E5. The fact that my threads on head-fi garnered some interest and increased sales for Cattylink is great for them... but that was not my intent. Since I had dealt with them in the past, they had my address. I was quite surprised when I received the package as I had tried to dissuade them when they hinted at the gift originally.

If it makes you feel better, I've never won a significant amount of money on a lottery and have been cheated out of more money than this CD player is worth. :)

Maybe it's a karma thing... :P

Regardless, I've got zero guilt. :angel:

Really no need to explain. I was just messing around as I assumed you were with the kiss. But I guess my reply didn't come across that way.
Fair enough... wouldn't be the first time something came across the wrong way on a forum. :laugh:
I assume Snowy hooked you up awhile ago, but this is new news to me.
Yeah, it was quite a while ago. I had actually sold my original E5, so it worked out pretty well. >:D

Well, being a shit eating lackey myself, Art has helped me with my E5 transport 3 different times, for naught more than $7 (total) in shipping, which I daresay is better than most would treat someone they owed nothing to. Little do I care what he gets in return, as my problem got fixed, and I dig my source. In fact, I bought the E5 before Art burst onto the scene, mostly on Jay's recommendation.

Otherwise, who gives a fuck? We all know his bias, which seems no worse to me that the average RSA / Grado / SP / Grover flameboy on H-F.

I agree pabbi... I've never had a problem with Art's fanboy-ism. What bothers me about him is how he is so rigid in his beliefs.

Like when the SA5000 was the best headphone ever, and now the K701 is... and how you NEED to have a solid state pre amp and a tubed power amp for ultimate fidelity. Stuff like that. ::)

Otherwise, who gives a fuck? We all know his bias, which seems no worse to me that the average RSA / Grado / SP / Grover flameboy on H-F.

If you're speaking of the "we" that is headcase then yes, we're all well aware of Art's thoughts and connections. But for anyone who does a quick google of Eastsound CD-5 and finds head-fi is the first link that pops up the MoT tag is at least something that might hint at the fact that he's not completely unbiased in his views. Note that I'm not trying to say that his advice is bad or that he hasn't helped a bunch of people out, only that the M helps tell a little more of the Art story.

Guest sacd lover

I agree pabbi... I've never had a problem with Art's fanboy-ism. What bothers me about him is how he is so rigid in his beliefs.

Like when the SA5000 was the best headphone ever, and now the K701 is... and how you NEED to have a solid state pre amp and a tubed power amp for ultimate fidelity. Stuff like that. ::)

The MOT tag has nothing to do with fanboyism. The MOT is applied to people who have a defined relationship with a manufacturer. The fact he claimed he did repairs for free ::) is irrelevant. At head-case this simply means the individual is identified as such. At head-fi this both identifies the individual and precludes them from posting in threads about products they are associated with.

Art was not banned. He can still post whatever he wants as long as he isnt commenting on cattylink products or their competitors products. He can hawk the 701 or the Rega Saturn all he wants. He can still offer his free repair services if he wants. But regardless, he has a manufacturers relationship and I have no doubt head-fi did the right thing. So give head-fi credit where credit is due.

Does this look like a relationship? You be the judge.

>From: "Cattylink Analog Research" <[email protected]>

>To:

>Subject: Re: Re: Doge 6210 Headphone amplifier

>Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 23:30:07 +0800

>

>DEAR SIR,

>

>AN ENTHUSIASTIC HEAD-FI MEMBER DR ARTHUR WELLS CURRENTLY OFFER FREE

>TECHNICAL SERVICES TO DOGE 6210 OWNERS PURCHASED FROM CATTYLINK. YOU CAN

>SEND AN EMAIL TO HIM TO ENQUIRE ABOUT THAT. DR ARTHUR WELLS IS AN ENDORSED

>COMPETENT TECHNICAL REPRESENTATIVE BY CATTYLINK; HIS EMAIL ADDRESS IS

>[email protected]

Jay,

If they sent you a free CD player (for whatever reason, presumably your review on Head-Fi) what exactly do you think they do for Art who performs all of their US repair work for them? Let's assume for a moment that it's nothing, he still has a clear and defined relationship with Cattylink as their "endorsed" repair person which in itself would border on MoT status. Couple that with his rampant endorsement of just about any product Cattylink sells and I think it's pretty clear why they slapped him with the tag.

Guest sacd lover

"endorsed" is not the same as "compensated".

Just in case some of you missed that.

I have stated before compensation is irrelevant .....

DR ARTHUR WELLS IS AN ENDORSED

>COMPETENT TECHNICAL REPRESENTATIVE BY CATTYLINK

Endorsed is not the issue .... technical representative is.

"Member of the Trade" includes (but is not limited to) manufacturers; individuals selling items he or she made for more than the cost of parts and/or actual shipping charges; individuals selling items acquired for the primary purpose of resale; individuals performing services (like modifications or any other service) for which the price charged is more than the cost of parts and/or actual shipping charges; dealers; distributors; maufacturer representatives; importers; magazine and e-zine writers.

If they sent you a free CD player (for whatever reason, presumably your review on Head-Fi) what exactly do you think they do for Art who performs all of their US repair work for them? Let's assume for a moment that it's nothing, he still has a clear and defined relationship with Cattylink as their "endorsed" repair person which in itself would border on MoT status. Couple that with his rampant endorsement of just about any product Cattylink sells and I think it's pretty clear why they slapped him with the tag.
Oh, I'm sure he was sent something as well. I don't think that he works for them and gets regular kickbacks or anything of that nature though.

Earl - I understand how you are reading that, but you have to understand that the person writing it has a pretty basic grasp of English. You also have to understand that Snowy, a salesman, is trying to say that Art is their tech support over here to facilitate making a sale with a customer that is perhaps worried about a lack of warranty.

I have stated before compensation is irrelevant .....
It may be irrelevant to you, but it is not irrelevant to Head-Fi. To wit:
"Member of the Trade" includes (but is not limited to) manufacturers; individuals selling items he or she made for more than the cost of parts and/or actual shipping charges; individuals selling items acquired for the primary purpose of resale; individuals performing services (like modifications or any other service) for which the price charged is more than the cost of parts and/or actual shipping charges; dealers; distributors; manufacturer representatives; importers; magazine and e-zine writers.
Now, you might have me at "manufacturer representative", but it's not as cut-and-dry to me as it apparently is to everyone else.

And: what's the problem? The only problem I have is that he denies it. He has a relationship with them. Whether or not it is profitable to him is still a matter of conjecture at this point, but a relationship does exist. As to whether or not that makes him a member of the trade or a groupie is up to definition, and quite frankly, you're really cutting your definition a little too fine if someone merely having a relationship of some sort with someone else makes him a member of the trade -- sounds to me like you're just trying to state your definition in such a way as to make him a member of the trade.

Let me turn this around a little bit: what if someone who happened to live in the same city as someone else asked his help to move a warehouse full of tubes, but instead of offering to pay him, offered him something else (I'll deliberately leave that something else vague, since in a world of bartering, it often is left vague...but it's probably tubes). Does that person become a member of the trade? If it is an ongoing relationship? If it only happens the once? I don't know about you, but if I can't get into CES for free, then I'm not a member of the trade. Just helping someone out with a bunch of tubes isn't sufficient.

For example.

In defense of Art..............He turned me on to a source of my favorite input tube for cheap. I have not listened to any of the equipment he recommends save the K701. I trust my own ears, but the bottom line is that Art seems like a guy with a good heart, (read helpful).

Actually when I found out threw the rumor mill about Art and Cattylink I really started thinking of buying a e5..having someone like him to help me if the probelm comes up is great!

Phildox i am not surpised that you received a free player also, your thread made the e5 what it is today with people owning them. its not wrong at all actually...hell i would give you a free player for that thread alone.

Also SACD you seem pretty hard on Art..wonder why?

the only thing he has not stated is weather or not he got any deals or anything like that from cattylink...is that your issue?