Should I bite on this?

humanflyz

I have a chance to trade my HD650s for a pair of RS-1s, only paying $330. You guys think I should do it?

Honestly, that doesn't seem like that good of a deal. not bad but not that good either. My math is as follows, you sell the 650s at 250-275 + the 330 that you'd need to pay. So your "cost" would in fact be anywhere from 580-605. Don't the RS-1s go for around 525-500? The only exception that I would see is if they area pair with low hours ie: less than 50 or so or are one of the earlier ones with the wood box, assuming you care about that.

Honestly, that doesn't seem like that good of a deal. not bad but not that good either. My math is as follows, you sell the 650s at 250-275 + the 330 that you'd need to pay. So your "cost" would in fact be anywhere from 580-605. Don't the RS-1s go for around 525-500?

I don't think I can get that high of a deal for selling the 650s: second-owner, no box. But that's why I ask, so I can get some different opinions.

I don't think I can get that high of a deal for selling the 650s: second-owner, no box. But that's why I ask, so I can get some different opinions.

If that's the case then might be a good idea. I was speaking in terms of you having the original accesories and such.

Someone has to prefer GS1000s to RS1s...

Honestly: I did preferred the prototype GS1000 that was present at the national meet '06 to a regular RS1 out of the same amplifier. I think it was a great 300B-based amp present that I used for the comparison, and also out of jjcha's dynamight. However, it seems that somewhere along the lines there was (were) a change(s), because the production GS1000 that I have heard (3 different pairs) have sounded hollow in the midrange to me. Not my cup of tea I guess.

To the OP, you can do better, just be patient.

three things

1. the RS-1 isn't a better headphone than the HD650

2. It's actually a bad deal

3. the GS1000 would run the RS1 out of town

I agree with you on #'s one and two. I owned the RS1 and HD650 simultaneously, and found them to play on the same level of sound quality, albeit with different flavors (even more tweakable via RS1 pads and HD650 cables). Actually the HD650/Zu and RS1/flats sounded very similar indeed, with the Senns having a bit more soundstage width.

I think a good price for used RS1's is the $400-450 range. Maybe more if you can get one with the elusive wood box (if you happen to care about that). Given that, paying $330 on top of your 650's is nuts. Reminds me of a deal I made a few years ago, my CD3000+prototype Headphile wood cups for a like-new HD650, Cardas cable, and $250! :D

three things

1. the RS-1 isn't a better headphone than the HD650

2. It's actually a bad deal

3. the GS1000 would run the RS1 out of town

I highly disagree with points 1 and 2.

I paid $400 + shipping for my old rs-1's off head-fi. They were sitting in the forsale forumn for 2 weeks before I snatched them up lol.

Biggie.

I highly disagree with points 1 and 2.

I paid $400 + shipping for my old rs-1's off head-fi. They were sitting in the forsale forumn for 2 weeks before I snatched them up lol.

Biggie.

I hope you mean 1&3, because that's as bad a deal as I've seen offered for RS1s.

sorry, i just happen to hate the RS-1 with a passion... and soundstage is just about my biggest priority when it comes to headphones.

that better be like an original RS-1 with wooden box and upgrade cable to justify that cost.

nevermind, go ahead and buy it.. i need to give the RS-1 a good review on the equipment i have now.

sorry, i just happen to hate the RS-1 with a passion... and soundstage is just about my biggest priority when it comes to headphones.

that better be like an original RS-1 with wooden box and upgrade cable to justify that cost.

nevermind, go ahead and buy it.. i need to give the RS-1 a good review on the equipment i have now.

No offense but your reviews are "wishy washy" at best.

Wait...how would you be able to write a review if you already hold such a grudge against them? :-X

Yeah, probably won't do it.

As for other things:

I happen to like the RS-1 better than the HD650s, even 650s on some $$$ amps and sources that are supposed to cure cancer and feed all the starving babies in Africa

And based on my memory, I prefer the RS-1 to the GS1000, but I'll have an extensive chance to hear the GS1000 in my own system tonight, so I can make up my mind about it.

I've paid as little as $350 for a pair of RS-1's, and have bought a total of four used ones over the years, never paying more than $400 (except for my balanced set, which is not among the four). So, $330 + HD-650 is way out of line, IMO.

I loved the GS1000 at the National Meet, but it was inefficient. My modded EMP could not drive it. When I got a production unit, the EMP drove it well, but the sound simply wasn't there. Since there is an obvious increase in efficiency, I'm reasonably sure that the drivers in the ones at the National Meet were different than the production driver, and that the increase in efficiency came at too high a price sonically. I'd love to get my hands on one of the prototype GS1000's, but the current production version is something I can live without (and am in fact living without, although I've still got two RS-1's).

I've paid as little as $350 for a pair of RS-1's, and have bought a total of four used ones over the years, never paying more than $400 (except for my balanced set, which is not among the four). So, $330 + HD-650 is way out of line, IMO.

I loved the GS1000 at the National Meet, but it was inefficient. My modded EMP could not drive it. When I got a production unit, the EMP drove it well, but the sound simply wasn't there. Since there is an obvious increase in efficiency, I'm reasonably sure that the drivers in the ones at the National Meet were different than the production driver, and that the increase in efficiency came at too high a price sonically. I'd love to get my hands on one of the prototype GS1000's, but the current production version is something I can live without (and am in fact living without, although I've still got two RS-1's).

I heard the GS1000s last night in my own system: it is a lot better than I remember them to be. The bass is actually controlled, the midrange, while still slightly recessed compared to the rest of the spectrum, is nowhere near as recessed as I remember, and the sibilance is controlled much better. But ironically, this is the only Grado that I've heard that sounds better out of SS equipment than tubes. All the tube amps that I've heard the GS1000s with (PPX3, MPX SLAM SE, Zana Deux) made it too boomy and harsh for me.