YAMAHA CD-S2000 or OPPO 103

iwik

Hi Guys,

Just venturing into sacd and have the option of buying either of the above. Not into video side just Audio.

All comments appreciated. Budget limited at present. The s2000 came out in 2007 and the age worries me.

Valid or not?. Technology changes rapidly these days.

Thanks

Les

They're probably both fine. Not a lot of Yamaha fans around these parts, but their upper end technology is fine.  i'd still go Oppo, myself (and plan to, except the 105 rather than the 103).  If you're not worried about network streaming (the main reason I'm choosing the 105 over the 103), then the 103 is fine.

Sony has some nice upper-end SACD players.  I think the XA-5400ES was considered good around here at one point, was it?

5400ES is out of production as of last spring. Prices have been unusually high since then, though eventually used prices might hit saner levels.

Anyway I'd go for the Oppo that hits the desired price point if I was in the market. I've enjoyed my 95 for a while now. No need to get the D versions if you aren't using them for video.

I've even liked some of the cheaper Sony SACD players....the lower range of the ES series has good SACD performance, and if you have an external DAC you can run 16/44 out to that.  I've done that with a Sony and also an NAD SACD player.  Good way to test the waters, cheaply.

Only thing I don't like about Sony's is that they won't play ISO's burnt from PS3-ripped images.  Oppo and NAD should.

postjack: I can get a second hand S2000 for US$1120 and a 103 for US$540.

Thanks for all the comments, reason to consider the 103 was looking to Pure Audio

if it ever takes off.

Les

Ah cool. I do love the way those Yamaha players look, really cool design. I haven't heard one personally, nor do I know/trust anyone who has.

As far as Bluray Pure Audio, I have a few discs that sound great, but just like any format, its all about the mastering. 

• Like 1

For redbook and SACD the S2000 to my ears is a definite few notches above the Oppo 103. The quality and finish is also nicer but comes with the asking price for these advantages. The Oppo 103 is less expensive and a multi-function player that is decent to boot. If you want a good player with a nice balance of blu-ray movies/dvd and serious stereo audio listening then the Oppo is for you. If you want an excellent redbook/SACD player only for stereo audio listening and have the easy funds for it, the S2000 is for you. If you have a fat wallet look at other better players or buy both the Oppo and Yammy.

2c.

• Like 1

Those are both good suggestions because if you don't have a collection of SACDs then it doesn't make sense to start now.  DSD has the benefit of not needing discs and is always combined with PSM and other options that provide you access to pretty much anything.  

The Sony room with the HAP-Z1ES sounded good and functioned well with a chatty rep talking through shit while controlling the unit from an Android tablet.  Another interesting option with an incredible list of features is the X40 from Cocktail Audio -- we saw one in action at RMAF but who knows what dictates the sound in those rooms.  The only reviews I have seen are from the UK's WhatHiFi and they say it works well and has great features but not the greatest sound.  

I like the HAP-Z1-ES a lot, a nice all-in-one unit.  The Auralic Vega still gets more out of the music IMO, but the Sony is a definite winner.  Do wonder what mods will do to the output stage, supposedly its weakest link.  The cheaper Sony, with the built in amp, may also be quite nice, even if used as source-only.  I can't remember for sure, but I think it lacks the ability to re-sample all input to DSD.  But for straight DSD playback, may be about as good as the HAP-Z1-ES.

Question, one I haven't really researched: what is the availability of DSD/DSF files as compared to SACD discs?  Not that discs are readily available so much either, but not sure on files....

I like the HAP-Z1-ES a lot, a nice all-in-one unit.  The Auralic Vega still gets more out of the music IMO, but the Sony is a definite winner.  Do wonder what mods will do to the output stage, supposedly its weakest link.  The cheaper Sony, with the built in amp, may also be quite nice, even if used as source-only.  I can't remember for sure, but I think it lacks the ability to re-sample all input to DSD.  But for straight DSD playback, may be about as good as the HAP-Z1-ES.

Question, one I haven't really researched: what is the availability of DSD/DSF files as compared to SACD discs?  Not that discs are readily available so much either, but not sure on files....

Here there's a pretty complete list of sites offering DSD music files for purchasing.

The Oppo 105's major advertised difference over the Oppo 103 is that it offers "audiophile-grade fidelity." Quote: "The BDP-105 features a dedicated 2-channel analog output with specially optimized ES9018 DAC and output driving stages. The stereo output offers both XLR balanced and RCA single-ended connectors. The balanced output features a true differential signal path all the way from the DAC to the 3-pin XLR connector. By transmitting a pair of differential signals, the balanced output provides better common-mode noise rejection and improves signal quality."

(In contrast, the 103's single DAC is presumably optimized for multi-channel output for BluRay and DVD movies.)

If the Yamaha CD-S2000 at approx $2000 is in the mix, and you're primarily interested in (?2 channel) audio, then the Oppo-105 at $1199 USD is probably a better candidate than the Oppo-103 at $599 USD.

But I like Blessingx's comment a lot: If you don't already have an investment in SACD discs, why spend money on buying hardware at this point ? ? ? 

The cheaper Sony, with the built in amp, may also be quite nice, even if used as source-only.  I can't remember for sure, but I think it lacks the ability to re-sample all input to DSD.  But for straight DSD playback, may be about as good as the HAP-Z1-ES.

Yep, it lacks DSD Remastering, but does have DSEE (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine). BTW, it sat in my Amazon cart for a bit and Amazon Warehouse "Used, Like New" (with packaging damaged) models fluctuated $790 and up (currently $912). There may be deals out there.

Edited by blessingx

Thanks to all who chipped in. I am now thinking of going the DSD way.

Blessingx: The Sony HAP-Z1-ES is nice but out of my price range presently.

Just finishing the T2  and with the purchase of Stax 007 the wallet is pretty lean.

The cheaper player you referred to was it the HAPS1B?.Looks like my best choice.

Torpedo: Thanks for the list of DSD sources, didn't realize so much was available on DSD.

Les

5400ES is out of production as of last spring. Prices have been unusually high since then, though eventually used prices might hit saner levels.

Anyway I'd go for the Oppo that hits the desired price point if I was in the market. I've enjoyed my 95 for a while now. No need to get the D versions if you aren't using them for video.

I noticed last night my 5400ES has a spinning noise.  A mechanical sound at the player, not something sent out the analog path.

Haven't had it long.  Sometimes you hear it, sometimes you don't.  Maybe its picky about CDRs, though I'm using the same brand of archival quality media throughout.  Forget the name, its a Japanese derivative of JVC or something.

And this is not the sound you hear when starting from a stop, but an ongoing sound that only stops when you stop spinning.

I've had the player for a long while now, probably since 2008.  Feels like a million years ago now.

I may just buy the OPPO to use as a transport to whatever source upgrade I end up getting.

Edited by aardvark baguette

• 5 weeks later...