New Tiny SP

postjack

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2902211&highlight=granodemostasa#post2902211

FYI, I do believe that the above post is where the tongue lashing started. That other thread is a bit later.

Interesting read. Heck, there are times that all of us post things we wish we could take back. There are times where we're misunderstood and our posts are taken in the wrong spirit. Some got upset. Shoot, it's water under the bridge at this point. No sense in trying to crucify the kid. Everyone has had their say and vented. At this point, I'm not sure there's a benefit to holding on to things. I'd much rather go through that 40 page thread and read about gear and folks meeting each other than this little episode. Some will disagree but it's still much ado about nothing in the grand scheme of things IMO.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my short & sweet summary: A lot of Head-fi members are angsty belly-aching cunt rags.

If I were granodemostasa, I'd just flip'em the bird and let them whine & cry to their heart's content. Let the cry-babies wind themselves up, it's their problem, not mine.

:D Well put.

Honestly granodemostasa, you can't control what other people's reactions will be to your comments. You don't have to "flip 'em the bird", but you can just walk away.

I only kept up with the impressions thread for the first few days after the meet, and I actually posted a request asking for more negative reviews of gear, pointing out that you were the only poster who, as of yet, had anything negative at all to say about any of the gear they heard. In a meet that large, with that many people, and with that much different gear, it is fucking impossible, IMO, for everyone to like every single fucking piece of gear they hear.

your dealing with some one's lively hood, there is a way of saying it rite and saying it wrong..you say it wrong. regardless of the truth or lie or positive or negative there is just a way to say something you know? Instead of talking like you did on your apache comment you could say something "well I don't care it as much as I do the B52, but I heard it in a loud meet location and may need a second listen in a quite room like I heard Billys setup.." something like that.

If I wanted to hear positive negatives, I'd subscribe to $tereoshill and give up on webforums altogether. It's ridiculous that one has to put 10 different qualifiers and sugarcoat the negatives on Head-fi to avoid starting a shitstorm with a bunch of whiny cunt rags. Fucking bullshit.

As Dusty Chalk mentioned, I'll sugarcoat the negatives when the fanboys start start putting qualifiers on their rivers of gushing praise. Since that ain't happening, I see no need to soften the negatives. If it sucks, I will say it sucks ass in clear bullshit-free language. If people don't like it, tough shit.

Exactly. If I think a product sucks, I find it stupid that I would have to worry about how it affects someone's sales or whatnot. I'm a consumer giving my view on a product. If a manufacturer takes issue with that, tough.

I can kind of understand both sides of this argument, but certain anti-slander practices are what makes me veer strongly to the "fuck you, fuck your business, and fuck your shitty product" side of the issue.

But HF started out as a smaller group, a "subculture" of the audiophile community (as steve hoffman put it), and as such everyone was buddies. Its kind of like if your friend has a band, and they are just "OK". Its not really your type of music, but the scene at the shows is fun, and your friend has a really great time playing. Do you tell your friend his band sucks asshole? Do you tell everyone not to waste their money on your friend's band's CD, to buy the new Spoon record instead, since its a much better value for your money? Or do you goto the shows, and encourage them to continue playing, and try to get others to come as well?

But then if the band is Creed, and you don't know Scott Stapp, its much easier to say they suck asshole, and to tell others not to waste their money.

So maybe five years ago everyone at HF was buddy buddy and it was all good, but I signed up a year ago, and I don't know Mikhail. I don't know Ray Samuels*. I don't know what their dreams are, I don't know their families, I don't know what their favorite food is. Hell, I don't even know what kind of music they listen to. I wasn't "there" at the beginning. The only time I've ever seen either of them post are when they are hawking a new product.

So what obligation do I have to be polite to them about their products? Why in the world do *I*, the end-consumer, have to sweeten and butter up my impressions of their amplifiers? After all, aren't I their target demographic for product sales, namely the guy who doesn't already own a solid gold SSSDDDSS b52 balanced raptor apache maestro? Aren't I a newbie, and doesn't it take new blood, like mine, to spend money and thus grow the hobby?

So why do I owe amp manufacturers anything at all? I give you the money, you build and ship a quality amp to me. Beyond that, I don't owe you shit. And if you fuck with me, or bullshit with me about lead times, or don't give me ultimate customer service to resolve any problem that may arise, you better believe I will crucify your ass in a public forum.

* - I'm just singling out Mikhail and Ray because they are what I consider the "big two".

How did we get from this SP tiny topic to those condemning granodemostasa on HF? Anything off topic should be cut off into a new thread. :P

granodemostasa don't sweat it. you've done everything within your power to appease them. More and more they're sounding like whiny pansies. You stepped on a few toes and, even though, you've said you're sorry a while ago they still persist to spill your blood and rub your face in it. Even when they double face say "move on" they still knock you preceding. I would stop commenting on the manner, if I were you, but I am not. They probably don't realize, but they are acting like snobby-bullies. Stop responding on this particular topic and they'll have nothing "new" to use against you and the sport of it will die.

But what I really want to know is that must have been one damn good fucking hotdog. :laugh:

How did we get from this SP tiny topic to those condemning granodemostasa on HF? Anything off topic should be cut off into a new thread. :P

granodemostasa don't sweat it. you've done everything within your power to appease them. More and more they're sounding like whiny pansies. You stepped on a few toes and, even though, you've said you're sorry a while ago they still persist to spill your blood and rub your face in it. Even when they double face say "move on" they still knock you preceding. I would stop commenting on the manner, if I were you, but I am not. They probably don't realize, but they are acting like snobby-bullies. Stop responding on this particular topic and they'll have nothing "new" to use against you and the sport of it will die.

But what I really want to know is that must have been one damn good fucking hotdog. :laugh:

LOL. it was a buffet.

Voltron closed the thread! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

back on topic: (sorry guys for taking the thread on a journey)

the SS-1 stole my heart away.... any chances that I'll steal my wallet as well? (I.E. does anyone know if it'll lead to a big/high end production SS amp one day? ) At the meet I had a chat, and Richard hinted that SP was going to go through with it... but did anyone else get this impression? or was it just hoping into air???

IIRC the SS-1 cost over $10,000. I'm either pulling this from memory or from my ass.

I believe it would be your ass ;), I think it was said somewhere that it was more in the neighborhood of $15k. But it is two amps in one, one "fun" and one "audiophile" or some such business. Given that it's 10x out of my price range I stopped paying attention quick.

I believe it would be your ass ;), I think it was said somewhere that it was more in the neighborhood of $15k. But it is two amps in one, one "fun" and one "audiophile" or some such business. Given that it's 10x out of my price range I stopped paying attention quick.

Hey, I said over $10,000! So really I was spot on. ;)

I have heard that in 7 out of 10 adults, listening to the SS-1 an average of once a day for six weeks results in a fuller, meatier, longer lasting audio experience.

Actually, it's not only $15k, but it's not even finished yet. There is still the crossfeed and some other circuits that need to be worked on. It will probably end up around $20k. I'd like to hear it, but also A/B compare it against other amps using the same DAC. In a few months I might be around the area and will ask Sleestack about auditioning it. I'm sure it'll be amazing, but I want to find out just how amazing it is by doing direct comparisons, say against a balanced B22.

Actually, it's not only $15k, but it's not even finished yet. There is still the crossfeed and some other circuits that need to be worked on. It will probably end up around $20k. I'd like to hear it, but also A/B compare it against other amps using the same DAC. In a few months I might be around the area and will ask Sleestack about auditioning it. I'm sure it'll be amazing, but I want to find out just how amazing it is by doing direct comparisons, say against a balanced B22.

as a b52 owner and lover I would say not to even waste your time comparing the SP with the b52..

unless your going to do a pre amp comparo..other then that the two are very different with different intentions, just both have headphone jacks...and iec inlets and..oh you get it

as a b52 owner and lover I would say not to even waste your time comparing the SP with the b52..

unless your going to do a pre amp comparo..other then that the two are very different with different intentions, just both have headphone jacks...and iec inlets and..oh you get it

B22 =/= B52

I don't get your logic billy: they can both be used as headphone amps right? If then, why can't you do a comparison between them and test them as headphone amps?

I don't see why the SS-1 and the B52 cannot be compared. They are both headphone amps, and while the B52 uses tubes, it sound signature is closer to a Solid State amp. I wouldn't be surprised if they sounded similar. In that case, it would be interesting to compare. It is interesting even to compare very different amps, like a complex SS amp with lots of global feedback versus a simple SET amp with no global feedback. But yeah, I mentioned B22 (not B52) which is a high end solid state headphone amp designed by Amb Labs. The circuit is designed for extreme high performance and transparency, and can deliver probably 60W into 8ohms. Basically, the current two top SS amps are the balanced B22 and SS-1. They should be compared to see what the cutting edge of SS amps have to offer.

Basically, the current two top SS amps are the balanced B22 and SS-1. They should be compared to see what the cutting edge of SS amps have to offer.
I don't think you can cound the SS-1 as one of the current top amps in any category, since it is a one off. Has anyone compared a balanced B22 to a Dynamight? That would be an interesting match up.

I don't think you can cound the SS-1 as one of the current top amps in any category, since it is a one off. Has anyone compared a balanced B22 to a Dynamight? That would be an interesting match up.

If someone brings a Dynamight to the MD/DC/VA meet that could happen...my balanced Beta 22 should be done by then....I hope.

Dynamite is a fantastic amp. Probably, one of the best SSs I've heard and can't beat the price. I would be very curious how the B22 stacks up against it.

Does the B22 have a single-ended implementation? (like the Dynahi)

I never liked the Dynamight the few times I've heard it. Mostly someone paired it with a Qualia and I don't think that's the best combo.

Yes...it'a actually pretty versatile. Since AMB designed it via single channel boards you can build it as follows:

2 channel

3 channel active ground

4 channel balanced

6 channel balanced (actually it's a 4 channel balanced the then two single ended 3 channel active ground)

2 channel

3 channel active ground

4 channel balanced

6 channel balanced (actually it's a 4 channel balanced the then two single ended 3 channel active ground)

Stephen, are you building the 6 channel balanced or the 4 channel balanced? O0