Hockey Thread - 2016/2017 Season

bozebuttons

13 minutes ago, Voltron said:

Hey Dan, how about starting a new thread with Tom's post.

Sharks took game 1 from the Kings last night and as a bonus, Jonathan Quick left the game after the first period! I don't wish him ill but if he's out awhile then that's gonna be tough on the Kings.

no way that would be a total violation of forum norms

• 5 months later...
On 10/13/2016 at 3:59 PM, grawk said:

That was the best possible outcome from that game.  Savior draft pick is awesome, and still doesn't help Toronto!

Babcock is a hell of a coach. Consider crow eaten.  I'm still looking forward to the first round...

1 hour ago, Voltron said:

I hope the Sharks make it out of the first round...

It won't be easy, hope Jumbo Joe and Couture get back very quickly. I think experience will trump youth here but Sharks' D gonna have to find a way to slow the game down and/or Jones is gonna have to steal a few...

On 4/10/2017 at 3:27 PM, Aura said:

I think experience will trump youth here but Sharks' D gonna have to find a way to slow the game down

Well so far, it's less about the Sharks slowing the game and more about the Oilers needing to realize that you cannot go into a shell to protect a lead during the playoffs. Teams with experience will keep pushing, and that's exactly what the Sharks did.

Can't wait for Hawkey tonight!

Edited by Aura

The leaves put on a good show for a bit, but the caps woke up to end the first and make it a game.

The Preds surprised the Hawks.  I enjoyed the end of the game after the caps finished.

Watched the first period in the Flames/Ducks game, and was surprised that it was relatively sane. I had anticipating there being more anger in that game.

Blah. Rarely have I seen a team seem to have so many opportunities yet not actually challenge the opposing goalie AT ALL. Rinne looked completely comfortable the entire game, save maybe one surprise wrister from Anisimov period 2.

The first 20 minutes of the game is about as anemic as the Hawks have looked at year, and it was obvious Quenneville was outcoached by Laviolette because the team didn't even attempt to adjust until after intermission #1. I wasn't necessarily impressed by the Predators but their strategy was executed perfectly - go into shell mode from the moment the game starts and simply capitalize on infrequent opportunities resulting from Hawks' pushes.

--

I think the Leafs will steal one game but it's all Capitals. They're just a complete team.

Edited by Aura

I have nothing positive to say about the hawks. Arguably the worst loss for their current "core" since 2009. It was disgusting hockey. Made worse by a lack of heart and leadership. I don't know where they go from here... do something in Nashville or don't come back at all, I guess. For fucks sake. 

Sigh. Never over til it's over but hawks are basically done. Next season I'll do well to remember (again) to temper expectations and that end-of-season records seem to carry more weight about what teams might actually do going into playoffs.

Not sure who I'll root for if San Jose can't survive Edmonton... anyone but Pens I guess.