Which DIY amp

wackid

Hi all,

First of all let me begin to say i am a beginner wit some detailed instuction and BOM i come pretty far. 

Just finished my O2 and ready for a new challange. 

I have a new DAP on the way with balanced output so i thought a Balanced in to out would be a great additition. 

So i have a few options which i cant decide which one to build.

-Krell KSA5 Clone

-Audiotechnica AT-HA5000 clone

- "The Wire" bal-bal amplifier

OR the Dynalo which is pretty hard to research because his website is down. This link for instance http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/boards/

My headphones are Audeze Sine and HD650. So not that much demanding.

Can someone point me in the right direction and tell me more about the differences. I am not that experinced enough to tell what the signature is based on used components.

Thanks

Stax mafia boards linked to in the stax mafia boards thread

i highly recommend you doing a diy-t2 as your first amplifier. More than one person has done this. If you survive you will learn a lot

less dangerous is the supersymmetry dynalo with the golden reference power supply

then the current feedback amp balanced or single ended with the golden reference power supply

more challenging is the uber2 amp

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

go for the ksa5 with a golden reference power supply, not to tricky to build and no heat monster. read the two threads for the ksa5 and the grlv and match the parts for the amp (cheap transistor tester do the work quite well).

if you want some action, some brrrzzzz and puff go for something high power, high heat, high voltage. i'm shure you would then increase your desolder skills, a good thing but advanced projects are often also a money pit :-(

• Like 1

I was going to suggest the Gilmore CFP2. If going balanced I would front it with a ubal-bal board for flexibility in input choices.

Cheap, easy to build, and very good compared to the other suggestions.

Use the golden reference PSU and you’ll be, well, golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Okay the Stax Mafia circuit board thread is the source to look at.

But the link in the first post is dead... Saw the Google Drive link. Those are the PDF schematics.

Luckily there is a pcb group buy thread and would like to start with a CFP2 amp. As the costs will not be to high.

But where is it the BOM or thread from the CFP2 amp? Didnt came across where does the letters stand for?

Or do i have to source the parts of the schematics PDF myself....

Hmzzz and maybe it's a bridge to far than and go with an Aliexpress KS5 kit.

This is the link to board files:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_iJFfZStuVhSE5nOHBVdTByR1k

This is the CFP2 (single ended) and CFP3 t(balanced) thread (Kevin or someone correct if this is wrong):

There should be a BOM posted in the thread, though with the recent update for current mirrors in the feedback loop, it probably needs some adjustment. If you can't find one, I know I have one here somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...