Happy Birthday Doug (dsavitsk)

swt61

On 3/31/2018 at 11:01 PM, dsavitsk said:

I'm pretty excited about that blade. It is, so far as I am aware, unique - it is a 40 tooth flat top grind with a precise 0.125" kerf meant for doing joinery. Every other flat top blade is either a ripping blade with fewer teeth and a less precise kerf, or has an 8" diameter and is wider.

I'm not sure unique is the right word but I want one of them!

"Forrest WW10407125 Woodworker II 10-Inch 40 Tooth ATB .125 Kerf Saw Blade with 5/8-Inch Arbor"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s//ref=mw_dp_a_s?ie=UTF8&k=Forrest

D6A664EC-16C6-4964-90EB-9F2E0B6CB35A.jpeg

I own that Forrest blade, and if you look at the copy closely it says it cuts nearly flat bottom grooves. It still cuts little bat ears.

ATBR_teethdiagram.png

It's good enough for an unseen groove to fit a drawer bottom as there is enough flat to hold glue, but it is not nearly good enough for joinery you can see.

The Freud ripping blade is tons better as it is truly flat and just suffers from a little tear out as it dulls. (It's real fault is that the kerf is ~0.128".) Ridge also makes an ATB+R that might be a bit better than the Forrest, but still is not perfect. As far as I know, the Ridge 40 tooth FTG is a unique blade.