Found my SNES, old school bedroom gaming

deepak

have you ever given an MMORPG a shot?

Haha, my best friend's older brother was addicted to Everquest. He failed a semester in college because of it, and he's playing World of Warcraft now.

I don't know they've never really piqued my interest, but then again I've never played one. If I'm on my PC I prefer to play first person shooters, especially the World War II stuff. Or single player RPGs like Gothic or Oblivion.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, my best friend's older brother was addicted to Everquest. He failed a semester in college because of it, and he's playing World of Warcraft now.

I don't know they've never really piqued my interest, but then again I've never played one. If I'm on my PC I prefer to play first person shooters, especially the World War II stuff. Or single player RPGs like Gothic or Oblivion.

Since I played WoW, I've had a real hard time getting immersed in a regular RPG. I bought Oblivion, and played it for a little bit, but it just didn't do it for me. Neither did FFXII (on PS2). I figure MMORPGs might have screwed me, because I quit playing WoW a few months ago, and now I can't find anything else that really engrosses me. I'm playing LOTRO, but I'm not really into it.

I'm thinking something in a sci-fi setting might be a nice change of pace.

Since I played WoW, I've had a real hard time getting immersed in a regular RPG. I bought Oblivion, and played it for a little bit, but it just didn't do it for me. Neither did FFXII (on PS2). I figure MMORPGs might have screwed me, because I quit playing WoW a few months ago, and now I can't find anything else that really engrosses me. I'm playing LOTRO, but I'm not really into it.

I'm thinking something in a sci-fi setting might be a nice change of pace.

Do mmorpgs have a story?

That's one of the big reasons I like single player RPGs. I'm playing through FFXII now, it's not bad...not great either...

Are you a hobbit on lord of the rings? If so you have to say P-O-T-A-T-O-E-S if you use voice

I'm not sure, I think there was one coming out for Nintendo 64. I haven't really followed much news, none of the current generation stuff really interests me.

The N64 one was scrapped, but then recently ported using sprites for the gameboy advance. It was only released in japan. There are currently two fan translations in the works. One from starman.net and mother3.org. Starman isnt' releasing any information about there translation untill it's complete. Mother3.org updates about every month. They are around 85% finished it seems not including patching work. I've been chomping at the fucking bit to play this game since the translation was announced mid last year.

About once every 6 weeks or so a group of anywhere from 5 to 8 of us gets together for a night of COD2 LAN gaming. It is fun to a degree that is not possible to convey through text. ;D

I'm seriously bummed that all the new COD releases have been console only.

Do mmorpgs have a story?

That's one of the big reasons I like single player RPGs. I'm playing through FFXII now, it's not bad...not great either...

Are you a hobbit on lord of the rings? If so you have to say P-O-T-A-T-O-E-S if you use voice

Yes, MMORPG's do have a story! How the story is implemented and advanced is the decision of the developers. Oftentimes Blizzard would have huge world "events" where all sorts of crazy things were happening all around the world, like players randomly being mind controlled in major cities, or monsters appearing out of nowhere, etc., to precede the release of new content (i.e. new dungeon).

Having said that, WoW was reduced to absurdity once you KNOW the queen of Stormwind is actually Onyxia the Dragon, and you have KILLED Onyxia the dragon and hung her head on the gates of Stormwind like a hundred times, and have seen every other raiding guild on the server do the same, yet the queen continues to appear in human form in the stormwind throne room so the next newb can start the onyxia chain.

LOTRO seems to have fixed this a bit by having what they call Fellowship quests. Once I do this quest, I won't have access to any of the quests I gathered before, because the world around me fundamentally changes. I've only done the first of the Fellowship quests, but afterwards an entire town had burned down. This is actually really cool, and makes me want to continue to play to at least see what happens in the story.

About once every 6 weeks or so a group of anywhere from 5 to 8 of us gets together for a night of COD2 LAN gaming. It is fun to a degree that is not possible to convey through text. ;D

I'm seriously bummed that all the new COD releases have been console only.

I know certainly is a shame. I need to get COD2, even if I never get online. COD1 is just brilliant, the single player campaign will make you sweat.

postjack: I think I'd give mmorpgs a more serious consideration if I knew any friends in real life that played. Pretty much why I enjoyed playing fps online in high school, most of my friends and I could get on the same server.

I know certainly is a shame. I need to get COD2, even if I never get online. COD1 is just brilliant, the single player campaign will make you sweat.

postjack: I think I'd give mmorpgs a more serious consideration if I knew any friends in real life that played. Pretty much why I enjoyed playing fps online in high school, most of my friends and I could get on the same server.

COD: United Offensive was the best IMO. I liked the way the vehicles handled and the maps were great.

I haven't tried those two, when were they released?

Its just one game. :)

Link'>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcanum:_Of_Steamworks_and_Magick_Obscura"]Link to Wikipedia

[url=http://www.terra-arcanum.com/]Terra Arcanum, Fan site

Game was released in 2001. Really cool steampunk/technoslip world. Victorian-esque setting with magic, highly customizable character system, non-linear gameplay. Actually this makes me want to find another copy and play it again, such a fun game!

snes? pffft. all i need is my nes. mike tyson's punchout is the shit.

also, about first person shooters: PLAY RED ORCHESTRA. it's hard and frustrating but pays off later; once you're good at red orchestra you will be god of every other first person shooter. it uses iron sights instead of crosshairs, no ammo counter, no health counter, and it is impossible to survive if you just run out into an open field. i love it. i've been kicking ass at call of duty ever since i started playing. too bad i rarely have enough people for a lan party.

Graphics aside, my favourite storyline for a computer based RPG is Planescape: Torment. So much fun... if you haven't played it you owe it to yourself to hunt that one down. O0

I need to finish that one. I was playing it on my laptop and forced myself to uninstall it during exam time. It was very good I didn't get very far, only to the second dungeon in the first town. I remember I went into a basement and there is a huge circular platform in the center, it's been a few years.

I need to finish that one. I was playing it on my laptop and forced myself to uninstall it during exam time. It was very good I didn't get very far, only to the second dungeon in the first town. I remember I went into a basement and there is a huge circular platform in the center, it's been a few years.

Yeah, Planescape Torment is on my list to complete one day too. I didn't get very far, I got it at a time when I was lacking spare time for gaming.

Torment was pretty sweet. such a shame that Planescape was dropped when DnD 3.0 came out, the bastards.
Well, they dropped planescape, but the 'planar' sourcebooks they did bring out for 3.0 are pretty solid. We still run a planescape game as it is not like you really need stats for the Lady of Pain or her dabus'. :)

• 3 weeks later...