Why are there no high-end transformer-coupled tube headphone amps?

humanflyz

Sure, there's the original Xana, but realistically, there are no commercially-available, high-end transformer-coupled tube headphone amps, which is a shame, because all the OTL headphone amps I've heard are not especially good at driving low-impedance loads, at least not as well as similarly-priced SS/hybrid amps that I've also heard.

Why is this the case? Is it harder to do a good transformer-coupled tube headphone amp right? Do the parts cost more?

Why is this the case? Is it harder to do a good transformer-coupled tube headphone amp right? Do the parts cost more?

Good transformers cost major money, plus there's no designs around for people like you-know-who to copy.

But there is this. I think KG mentioned there were something like $600 in transformers alone in there.

http://www.moon-audio.com/MoonHead.htm

Good transformers cost major money, plus there's no designs around for people like you-know-who to copy.

But there is this. I think KG mentioned there were something like $600 in transformers alone in there.

http://www.moon-audio.com/MoonHead.htm

Yeah i believe the iron is all lundahl. Not cheap thats for sure. I think 600 is conversative considering it has its outputs and inputs transformer coupled.

The best iron isnt cheap, thats for sure. My moth s2a3 uses electra-print iron, TM3kB, each transformer potted is about $200. Tango iron can run you from 250-400 per trannie considering they are out of production.

There's a sweet deal for a pair electraprint trannies 15k:300 ohms parafeed on audio circle for $100 if anyone is interested. Might make a cool project.

Yeah, the Luna always struck me as one of the nicest commercial things around. If only it looked a little better, it would be so awesome. ;D

I listened to it a few weeks ago and absolutely enjoyed it. Best amp I've heard. But then, I haven't heard too many. ;)

Realistically, the EAR Yoshino HP4 is considered a high-end amplifier by some, including me, and it remains commercially available. The transformers are proprietary Tim De Paravicini designs.

Oops, forgot about that one. I guess I should re-phrase my original statement by saying that the ratio of transformer-coupled tube amps to OTL-tube amps are really really small.

do looks really matter that much?

Actually, yes. Most people just don't admit it. Nothing wrong with having great sound and killer looks you dig. You don't have to choose from the hot ass blonde or the smart funny chick. Plenty of hot blonde smart funny as hell chicks out there ;D

Actually, yes. Most people just don't admit it. Nothing wrong with having great sound and killer looks you dig. You don't have to choose from the hot ass blonde or the smart funny chick. Plenty of hot blonde smart funny as hell chicks out there ;D

In my case she's white, and a bit sibilant, but I love her all the same. (my 701, no I'm not racist :P ) My girl's a brunette, though.