Finally caved in...

humanflyz

I swore that I would never buy a portable amp, but the Zen Vision M's headphone output just doesn't supply enough current for the D5000s. So guess where my first paycheck on the job went? To an used AE-2 in Virginia.

But at least I've heard the AE-2 with the D5000s and the combo sounded very nice, a very groovy type of sound. I'll probably sell the AE-2 once the summer is over though.

Nice. Just made a purchase yesterday as well. ;D

I swore that I would never buy a portable amp again (I've only had one - a SR-71 from years back which I quickly sold off), but I like the line-outs of my portable players and needed a simple amp for that. So guess where a fraction of the money I received for selling off random gear went? To an used PINT from I dunno where.

But at least people tell me the PINT is pretty kickass. I'll probably keep the PINT through the summer and into the school year since I can see myself using one with my laptop while on-the-go. Too bad the battery life is a paltry three hours.

P.S. I'm planning on acquiring a D5000 at the end of the summer as well. (That is when my checks come in.)

you guys mean "a used"

sorry i just had to point that out lol, it got to me when two people did it in a row :P

:grammar nazi:

thats right, because the "u" is a long "u", right? like "an" would be appropriate if saying "an uppercut", since the "u" there is a short "u" sound.

But you also have to kind of use an when the "em" or "en" sound is at the beginning of a word. Because it wouldn't be right to say I have a M&M, you just have to say an M&M.
It depends. If the word is an acronym, then no, you still say "a", because you're not supposed to be spelling out the acronym. I think.

:grammar nosy bystander:

I still have the not-quite-finished UZI42. Charging handle knob is the volume control (originally charging handle was attached to a linear pot), trigger connected to the power switch. I didn't get around to finishing it as although the BOIL42 was weird enough, the UZI42 wouldn't be a terribly practical portable amp... don't fancy being dragged off by the cops after my train ride.

The only portable amp I'd even consider buying nowadays is the Supermicro or the Supermini. Unless someone does an even smaller, better packaged version.

Just can't get into a portable amp anymore. Given my listening habits, I'd never use the thing.

I'm with you. Whenever I'm on the move listening it's hardly focused or concentrated enough to be worthy of some $400 portable amp. Don't get me wrong, I can see the point for having a small, easily transportable amp but I think my budget would be under $200 for something like that.

I'm with you. Whenever I'm on the move listening it's hardly focused or concentrated enough to be worthy of some $400 portable amp. Don't get me wrong, I can see the point for having a small, easily transportable amp but I think my budget would be under $200 for something like that.

My budget is even less than that. I won't spend more on something like that, than the parts cost. I'll build the mini^3 and use it at the office, but even that is a stretch, because I just don't concentrate on the music enough here.

My budget is even less than that. I won't spend more on something like that, than the parts cost. I'll build the mini^3 and use it at the office, but even that is a stretch, because I just don't concentrate on the music enough here.

Yeah, for the DIY crowd we can save quite a bit on portables. I see a singlebox mini3/Alien combo in my future for the office. I miss the PIMETA that I had built like that.

It's different for people who don't know how to DIY.

I thought about getting a USB DAC/headphone amp to bring for the summer, but then I realized that I'd be tethered to my computer if I want to listen. I basically needed something small that I can carry around in my apartment, so that when my roommate is sleeping, I can go to the living room to listen.

Anyways, the AE-2 got here last night, and it sounds really good: it's the best-sounding commercial portable amp I've heard so far.