Best mp3 headphones for $10-$50

DaGreatAzn

Having done research on headphones within my price range and having reached no conclusion on what I should buy, I have decided to enlist the help of professional audiophiles. What I'm looking for in headphones is clarity, bass and all that other junk are also important to me, but the most important thing that I look for in headphones is crisp and clear music. If you can find it in your heart, please help this poor soul by providing some thoughtful advice as to what I should purchase. ;D

You mean, like, IEM's?

Umm, I'm not to sure what you are talking about, plz elaborate.

I would I also like to say that my preferences for headphones are that they shouldn't be too bass heavy and should work well in low volumes. To make sure ppl understand what I'm saying when I say mp3 headphones, I mean to say headphones that I can wear during my commute. I personally hate those headphones with those bulky noise cancellers, so don't recommend me any of that. Thx in advance! :)

I'm going to make this brief.

headphones: Koss KSC75. Then the Sennheiser PX100. Your choice.

IEM= In Ear Monitor, they go inside your ear. most suck, some are good, but those are all $250+

noise canceling headphones= the devil, distortion like mad. stay away!

There is no such thing as an "MP3 headphone." MP3 refers to the music file on the digital side and has nothing to do with headphones. Headphones reproduce analogue sound for your ears.

welcome to headcase, sorry about your sanity.

thx for the quick feedback, i looked up both items on amazon and they seems to be very highly rated! Please everyone, more feedback so i can make an informed decision on what to buy!

btw:for the Koss KSC75, is it just a clip on version of the popular portapros?

Not technically. The portapros are really a headband version of the now defunct KSC-35. I too, would reccomend the KSC-75, as for your budget they are the best headphone to go with. Start saving your pennies, this hobby is addictive, and you will likely want a L3000/PS-1/HE90 next. >:D

IEM= In Ear Monitor, they go inside your ear. most suck, some are good, but those are all $250+
...except for the Etymotic ER-6i, which is a lot less than that, and an excellent value, albeit still a little bit more expensive new than the original poster requested, otherwise I'd recommend it, as it fills all the other criteria quite nicely.

and altec lansing im716s for around $100, and ER4Ps, etc

But don't let these high end snobs get to you, there are a fair number of decent cans available sub $50. Especially for non-critical listening. Check out headphone.com, they make good recommendations for price and value.

The Koss KSC75 is a harsh peice of trash. If you can't get ksc-35's or porta pros, don't bother with them.

Biggie.

Perhaps for ears spoiled by high-end headphones. Completely different story for those who have not listened to such headphones. :)

Umm, I'm not to sure what you are talking about, plz elaborate.

I would I also like to say that my preferences for headphones are that they shouldn't be too bass heavy and should work well in low volumes. To make sure ppl understand what I'm saying when I say mp3 headphones, I mean to say headphones that I can wear during my commute. I personally hate those headphones with those bulky noise cancellers, so don't recommend me any of that. Thx in advance! :)

If you can stretch your budget to $55-65 you can get the AKG K81DJ (there are a few ebay sellers selling new ones for $55 with free shipping). They're closed, have a very thin cord and come with a carrying pouch. The cups also rotate and fold inwards for portability.

They sound very good for what they cost and they have a very nice bass response. I imagine you want closed or in ear headphones for your commute.

Unfortunately,$50 is all I could muster for headphones as I am on a tight budget so those AKG K81DJ are out of my reach :(

So far I see that the Koss ksc-75 seems like the favorite, frankly I haven't heard of them until some of you guys recommended it. Headphones that I having been looking at include the Sennheiser MX500, PX100, PMX100, Sony's MDR collection, iGRADO, and the Koss Portapro. How does the Koss KSC-75 fare against the products that I have listed?

I still haven't made a final decision and anymore recommendations are gladly welcomed :)

Out of those you've listed, I've heard or owned the MX500, PX100, numerous Sony MDRs over the course of almost two decades, the KSC-75, and the Portapro.

- Most Sony MDRs really suck with a few exceptions. In terms of the few exceptions, they're unfortunately out of your price range by quite a lot, and most people would still prefer other similar priced headphones in those high level priceranges.

- MX500 is decent. But I dislike earbuds, and the KSC-75, PX100, and Portapro are better. They're noticeably better than any earbuds that come with portable CD players or MP3 players

- KSC-75 is pretty good. Inexpensive, quite portable, sounds rich and enjoyable for most people. (The now discontinued KSC-35 is better from what I've heard from many people, however.)

- PX100 and Portapro are good, solid headphones. They're at the upper limit of your budget. The PX100 is more laid-back, while the Portapro is more engaging. I personally think the sound of the Portapro is more enjoyable, but the PX100 seems to look better in my opinion.

Good luck! ;D

I saw an image of a pair Koss KSC-35 on ebay. I dunno if it is b/c of the box, but they look kinda cheap. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

Thx for the detailed response, is there any headphone that I haven't mentioned that you would recommend over these, Nanoha?

I saw an image of a pair Koss KSC-35 on ebay. I dunno if it is b/c of the box, but they look kinda cheap. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

Thx for the detailed response, is there any headphone that I haven't mentioned that you would recommend over these, Nanoha?

They are kinda cheap.. but they do sound great for the price.

MDR's don't suck. Just the V-Crap series, where the lower end series all sound bloated, and the upper end sound okay, but not at the price they are going for.

Anyhow I do own the KSC75 and I think it sounds fairly balanced for the price, and they are very moddable.

Although, in the end, I prefer my K81DJ with my iPod. It sounds a bit more refined, and makes the KSC75 sound a bit harsh.

I'd go for the eH150's if you want isolation. -- They don't sound bad, they have a slight hollow-ness in the sound, otherwise they are quite balanced sounding for a cheap headphone. (In fact, I have yet to find something closed for 30 bucks that tops it)

If you don't care for isolation the KSC35's sound better.

• 5 years later...

Im assuming over the ear. But while i know their name isn't "known" and their quality untested, i find these Incipio f38 can's to be pretty amazing. Im used to Senn hd-280's, but i was recently gifted these and they are not bad at all. I was quite pleasantly surprised. But professionally under a hundred bucks i would go with the senn hd280s