Dynalo vs. Dynahi

postjack

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand, the 6-channel B22 is to enable two single-ended headphones to run in a 3-channel configuration simultaneously, otherwise when a balanced headphone is connected the other 2 channels are not used. I am not entirely sure this is correct, but this is what I got.

You are right, but you forgot the direct head-plugging of fool brains.

I find conventional steppers to lack enough adjustability without a gain switch and on the beta there's no real option for switching the gain simply.

So is it not possible to install a gain switch on a beta? The high-low gain switch is something I really like about my Dynahi. Provides enough flexibility with the volume knob for all of my headphones.

Oh who am I kidding, I always got the volume at MAXXX no matter what headphones are hooked up. loud as all hell. beat bumpin, cranium shakin, damn.

So is it not possible to install a gain switch on a beta?

Essentially that's correct. There are ways to do it but none that really should be implemented on an amp of this caliber. Depending on the gain setting the beta uses different compensation caps so not only would you have to be switching resistors but also caps. The amount of wiring that this would take would surly degrade the signal and invite noise (the bad kind).

Essentially that's correct. There are ways to do it but none that really should be implemented on an amp of this caliber. Depending on the gain setting the beta uses different compensation caps so not only would you have to be switching resistors but also caps. The amount of wiring that this would take would surly degrade the signal and invite noise (the bad kind).

Interesting! Thank you for explaining that to me.

So knowing this, is the beta22 still an appropriate amp for someone like me, whose favorite headphones' impedances are all over the map?

Sorry about that, I bought the last two. :) I'm pretty sure they're ordering more though.

And yes, the 6 channels are to allow the amp to run as two single-ended, active ground amps at the same time.

Ok, but it's a bit misleading for people to say that particularly a 6 channel b22 was one of the best amps they've heard when its 6 channel-ness had nothing to do with it. They were either listening to 3 or 4 of the channels, unless they strapped two pairs of SE headphones to their head to get all 6 channels O0.

Ok, but it's a bit misleading for people to say that particularly a 6 channel b22 was one of the best amps they've heard when its 6 channel-ness had nothing to do with it. They were either listening to 3 or 4 of the channels, unless they strapped two pairs of SE headphones to their head to get all 6 channels O0.

Nothing misleading about it at all. It was the 6 channel amp that sounded good. It wasn't a 4 or 3 channel amp. So shut your cake hole. Whiner.

So knowing this, is the beta22 still an appropriate amp for someone like me, whose favorite headphones' impedances are all over the map?

I think for the most part it would be fine with the one notable exception being that K340s have been known to give low gain amps fits. If I had to build a single-ended version again I would drop the gain from the 8 that I used the first time. I think that my balanced amp is going to run 3/6 (3 single ended, 6 balanced) but I'm not 100% sure on that just yet. I'll certainly be doing some testing while I'm building my amp.

What about pin-sockets for the resistors and (dont know if they make sockets that small) for the caps? I think its just the tiny caps that would prevent this. If there were ones that small, changing gain would take 5 minutes, swapping parts, and the leads could be clipped to like 1 cm and it would still be fine..

What about pin-sockets for the resistors and (dont know if they make sockets that small) for the caps? I think its just the tiny caps that would prevent this. If there were ones that small, changing gain would take 5 minutes, swapping parts, and the leads could be clipped to like 1 cm and it would still be fine..

But that is not nearly as elegant as a switch, especially for those who wouldn't know enough.

But that is not nearly as elegant as a switch, especially for those who wouldn't know enough.

And not really practical for the average non-DIY enthusiast headphone audiophile like me. On any given evening I start with the HP2, move to the HD650, and end with the W5000.

You could make a 12-channel Beta with 6 in one gain configuration and 6 in the oher, with just a switch to choose which group of boards is connected to the headphone jack. >:D Sounds like a simple and elegant solution to me, and I'd expect nothing less from this group!

You could make a 12-channel Beta with 6 in one gain configuration and 6 in the oher, with just a switch to choose which group of boards is connected to the headphone jack. >:D Sounds like a simple and elegant solution to me, and I'd expect nothing less from this group!

That would be impressive!

A 12-channel beta...hmmmm, O0

So let me get a little clarification. Lets say I wanted a balanced beta22. Lets say I have some balanced headphones, but I still want to be able to listen to headphones with regular 1/4in jacks. All I really need is a 4 channel, right? The only point of a 6 channel is so that two people can listen at the same time with unbalanced phones?

So let me get a little clarification. Lets say I wanted a balanced beta22. Lets say I have some balanced headphones, but I still want to be able to listen to headphones with regular 1/4in jacks. All I really need is a 4 channel, right? The only point of a 6 channel is so that two people can listen at the same time with unbalanced phones?

Yeah, you don't need more than 4 channels for what you are doing. However, if you want to run your single-ended headphones in an active ground configuration, you would still need the 6-channels. It's up to you though: some say that the 3-channel configuration for single-ended usage brings it closer to true-balanced.