mmmmm... Donuts!

philodox

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before the bagel existed, there was the donut. Aka flat pads...
Oh, I've never heard anyone call the flats donuts.
i didn't know that the L3000 pads fit Beyers.
I'm not sure they do normally, I think that Steve's woody has a ridge or something... but they still might fit normal Beyers.
Does this headphone actually sound good or just look bizarre?
By all reports it sounds very good as it is now and will sound extremely good if I can find some YH-100 drivers for it at some point.

No, seriously, I'm sure the shape is functionally driven...because they just kinda look funny. As I said before, "...um..." <--- meant to sound like indecisiveness, not outright rejection.
Oops, missed this first time around. I get what you mean, and I agree that I'll need to see them in person to reach a final decision about the looks.

As for the brown bits, if I don't like them in person it shouldn't be hard to order new parts from Beyerdynamic. I also have some black paint that bonds to plastic, so I could sand them down a bit and give them a few coats of that. ;)

I like breasts, warm snuggly breasts. You might say I'm off topic, but I don't know what this thread is about and I don't think anyone else is really sure either. Boobies ftw!

i like it when breasts are so big that the women has to walk hunched over and needs crutches. I also like it when the women can't talk cuz women talking sux.

Oh, I've never heard anyone call the flats donuts.I'm not sure they do normally, I think that Steve's woody has a ridge or something... but they still might fit normal Beyers.By all reports it sounds very good as it is now and will sound extremely good if I can find some YH-100 drivers for it at some point.

What's extremely good mean. Like would you tier it higher than a balanced hd600/650? I mean a lot of work has gone into it (recable/not cheap L3000 pads/wood housing and more), does these mods actually put this headphone in the same playing field as a thousand dollar headphone or even a 300-500 dollar one? I'm just super skeptical of anything like the headphile process (Other than perhaps the recable).

I have not heard this headphone, so I don't have much of a response as of yet. There have been a few impressions on Head-Fi, which you should be able to find if you search for 'Chocolate Donuts'.

I bought it based on swt61's description as I trust his ears and preferences. In his opinion they are on K340 level, though different in many ways. With the YH-100 drivers he believes them to be far superior, approaching and maybe eclipsing the Stax Omega 2.

Now, assuming Steve has the same opinion of the K340 as I, that would place them a little above balanced HD650's to my taste. I don't much care for the Stax Omega 2 myself, so that comparison doesn't really help me.

I got a great deal on them and have been wanting to dive into orthodynamics for some time, so I am very excited to hear them. If I can manage to track down a pair of YH-100 drivers, even better. ;)

Ah I see. Yeah I don't really trust Steve's ears per se. I am not a big believer of the K340, which while a fine headphone (I heard it powered by various K1K amps) at its price point is nothing special. But that's just how my tastes swing. Most people hate the Qualias, which I love ;p So I am probably not in the norm.

The K340s can sound lovely in the right rig. I'm sure that the Qualias are the same, though I've yet to hear it.

I think I really need to hear your amp, I'm with Icarium, they're just not that impressive to me (for how much praise they get), IMO they're comparable to Sennheisers classic line or Grado/Alessandro upper prestige series.

I did love the K340 with electronic music, but they were just too genre specific.