mmmmm... Donuts!

philodox

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I really need to hear your amp, I'm with Icarium, they're just not that impressive to me (for how much praise they get), IMO they're comparable to Sennheisers classic line or Grado/Alessandro upper prestige series.

I think that's less a reflection on the K340s and more of a statement about our relative spending thresholds when it comes to headphone gear. Most of us are (w/ the exception of jay perhaps ;)) don't really expect them to compete against the $1000+ crowd of headphones.

It is true that I can't really think of any $1000+ headphone that clearly bests my K340 overall. They all do certain things better, but the only one that I think I could truley give up my K340's for is the HE90... at which point my fancy amp is useless.

I'd love to own a pair of R10's, K1000's, PS-1's, and HP1000's [not to mention RS-1's, but they are under a grand]... but my budget is limited, and even if I had all of those my K340's would still be staying right where it is. ;)

Not a fan of the Qualia's or O2's from what I've heard so far, haven't heard the Leatherheads... am I missing any?

I think the brown plastic looks pretty bad in the pictures here, but I think they look considerably better in the pics in the "Chocolate Donuts" thread over there. Maybe harsh flash photography isn't doing it any favors? In the other pics, the light brown plastic looked like it might be very similar to the lighter parts of the grain in the wood cups. I'll be curious to hear what you think when you see them in person.

Just be careful you don't accidentally eat them. That happens to me sometimes. Always the most expensive pair. Curse of being a fatass I suppose. Everything fucking looks like a donut, delicious yummy donuts.

Sidenote: Put on a pair of K240s at the Guitar Center I was at earlier today. Darn decent sounding for a relatively cheap headphone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's too bad that Steve's balanced beta22 wasn't ready. I'm pretty convinced that it would have made a rather large difference. I think they sounded pretty good on Jim's beta22 when we hooked it up to the zapfilter output opus [more gain], but that still only has a gain of 5, where Steves will be balanced with a gain of 11 I think. I'm going to be doing some serious tweaking on my pair, but if I can't get them to where I like them they are likely going back.

We all know that I need a pair of MS-Pro's or RS-1's. :angel: