Heroes

Chekhonte

I noticed the similarities too, which turned be off the Sparhawk series. Since I read the Belgaraid/Malorean first that will always be the one for me. The characters were great and it has some of the best war coverage that I've seen in any fantasy series.That I didn't know, but Robert Jordan is the biggest fucking Tolkien clone out there. Gimmie a break! :DI assume you are talking about Xanth? Ever read Incarnations of Immortality or any of his older Sci-Fi or fantasy? Piers is awesome when he gets it right... though I'm with you on Pern. ::)

Anyone here a fan of R. A. MacAvoy or Judith Tarr? I love their 'historical' fantasy, great stuff. Guy Gavriel Kay is also a lot of fun.

Another one like Piers [which has good and bad days] is Marion Zimmer Bradley... The Avalon stuff - garbage. Her earlier works like Darkover, etc are all very worth while though in my opinion. ;)

I've read G.G. Kay's The Lions of Al-Rassaan, its a great book! I intend to read more Kay in the future. I've never read any Marion Zimmer Bradley, but I've heard her name.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i read the Belgariad first, too. the characters were great in the Sparhawk series, and the war coverage was good there, too :) probably worth reading, since you like Eddings earlier series, but don't expect any major plot surprises ;)
I guess we just took it a different way. I was pissed that all these second rate characters with different names were trying to be Silk, Barak, Garion, etc. ;)
i was primarily talking about Xanth, but i've read several of his non Xanth books, and i disliked them.
Yeah, Xanth is garbage, but I still have a soft spot for the first 3 or 4. Basically, once people stop being related to Bink it starts getting horrible. :D

Have you read Incarnations of Immortality? Some of his earlier Sci-Fi is just crazy... though he goes into a lot of 'weird sex stuff'. :laugh:

I've read G.G. Kay's The Lions of Al-Rassaan, its a great book! I intend to read more Kay in the future. I've never read any Marion Zimmer Bradley, but I've heard her name.
That one is pretty good, read Tigana though... thats my fave. :)

The Fionavar Tapestry and his newest, Ysabel, are both great as well.

I'm with Reks on the Mists of Avalon... pretty lame. Some of her other stuff is good though, but it's a crapshoot unfortunately. I just recently discovered Darkover, and 5 novels in it has yet to suck. O0

Well, not in Incarnations, but his earlier Sci-Fi. Cthon, for instance, is a great book as long as you don't mind a little incest and rape. ;)

Incarnations itself is just a cool series. Maybe I am biased because I liked it at a young age, but there are some great characters and I love his take on Satan. Second only to Heinlein in Job: A Comedy of Justice. O0

The Mexican twins have potential, but I agree that they are pretty lame right now. I'm happy that the Haitian is back, he's cool. I'm actually not too bummed out about Niki being gone; her and her husband have got to be the worst two characters... though their kid is kinda cool.

Why do all my threads digress almost immediately? Nearly all them go so far as inspire somebody to say "this would never happen in postjack's forum". what the fucking fuck is going on?! oh and I'd also like to add a fuck you at the end to all the people that made my tube amp thread a pile of shit. ;D

Why do all my threads digress almost immediately? Nearly all them go so far as inspire somebody to say "this would never happen in postjack's forum". what the fucking fuck is going on?! oh and I'd also like to add a fuck you at the end to all the people that made my tube amp thread a pile of shit. ;D

This post would never happen on postjack's forum.

waaambulance.thumbnail.jpg