Heroes

Chekhonte

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think it was terrible. I still like the Peter story line and the Claire story line may get interesting. That blonde is back, and her story is boring so far though. Hiro is always good. Not sure what they are doing with Sylar, kinda lame.

Agree, the Peter story line has traction (plus bonus points for girl w/ accent, yay!) as does Claire's but I swear if I see the stupid Mexican twins use/unuse their powers again to get out of a jamb I'm going to shut it off. And Hiro is a mixed bag right now, if they'd let him move on from yet another repetitive story line (sark is good, sark is a drunk idiot, rinse, repeat) I may be on board but so far I'm not buying it. Did I mention that I hate the Mexican twins yet? I hate the twins. >:(

And Reks, they had ample time to realize that the show was going to have a second season. I mean it was a hit from the get go, so they knew what they needed to do for at least 6 months.

I think that though the mexican twins are hella irritating now... once they get to the states we'll see what their powers really are and I would imagine they are more impressive than they've been letting on so far. ;)

Hiro needs to cut that douches head off with his own sword and run away with the hottie. :D

Agree, the Peter story line has traction (plus bonus points for girl w/ accent, yay!) as does Claire's but I swear if I see the stupid Mexican twins use/unuse their powers again to get out of a jamb I'm going to shut it off. And Hiro is a mixed bag right now, if they'd let him move on from yet another repetitive story line (sark is good, sark is a drunk idiot, rinse, repeat) I may be on board but so far I'm not buying it. Did I mention that I hate the Mexican twins yet? I hate the twins. >:(

And Reks, they had ample time to realize that the show was going to have a second season. I mean it was a hit from the get go, so they knew what they needed to do for at least 6 months.

Racist!

• 1 month later...

Spook country is pretty solid. I liked it more than Pattern Recognition. What gets me is sometimes the mcguffin or big ticket items in some of his stories. I can't tell if I love it or hate it. *Semi spoiler* I.e. what turns out to be in the container was totally uninteresting to me. It's like his book Virtual Light (Besides Virtual Light I in general liked the trilogy more than anything else he's written including Neuromancer)... those glasses that everyone was after was just not that interesting. Also the origin of the crazy internet movies was also meh. Hell the maker of the boxes in Mona Lisa Overdrive? I mean I guess the relative mundaneness in the face of the rest of what all is going on is jarring and really interesting. I mean people are willing to kill other people for piddling sums in real life... and also they certainly don't need to be motivated by a threat to creation/earth to do really amazing things. So in that respect his books have a sense of realism that is really intriguing.

Still... I liked the payoff at at the end of All Tomorrow's Parties a lot. I think that is either my second favorite or my favorite.. in contention with Idoru which I think might just be a little bit more solid.

Overall though as fun as Gibson is I am more a Neal Stephenson guy. Other stuff I heavily like is K.J. Parker (Very good author if people don't know about him), Stephen Erikson of course and hrmmm last book that really impressed me... Spin State by Chris Moriarty hrmm Iain M. Banks has some good stuff. Okay, okay I'm sure no one cares so I'll end with that.

• 8 months later...

So, as I sit here watching the Olympics and see ad after ad for the new season of Heroes, I'm left wondering if I could have less interest in picking the show back up again. I'm sure there's a way, but I'm not sure how.

It recently occured to me that I don't think the creators knew how much they had married themselves to the whole comic book paintings as a striking visual device. Even as season 1 deteriorated, the paintings helped tie things together and that foreshadowing kept me interested. Maybe it was used as a crutch, but considering the direction taken once that aspect was written out, it may have been a crutch that was needed. Badly. Lost is a perfect example of a show that managed to move on from its own quirky plot device (flash-backs). Heroes? Not so much.

Chuck and The Office, on the other hand, can't start back up soon enough!

• 1 month later...

I was excited after the first season, when they said each year would focus on a whole new set of heroes. I guess they couldn't really commit to not having franchise characters. Seriously, what importance does Claire have at this point (other than being hot)? I understand Peter, although he would no longer be quite as important if they would've just killed Sylar and been done with it. Their yin and yang relationship is interesting but needs to come to a close soon.

And major negative points for Hiro's stupid formula and the fact that he won't just go back and fix the problem.