Sennheiser HE90

Elephas

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea, but most of us have yet to get a good listen to some of those god-like K1000 rigs. even this past meet was too noisy to really get an impression of what the zanden sounds like.

I'm a believer in the magic of good 300B amps. With my friend's monoblocks it made my Melos/Pass Labs/K1000 setup look like child's play.

I've tried the K1000 with a Cary 300SEI. It sounded very good, but not better than various Stax, HE90, HE60 or even the L3000 and PS-1.

This was a stock K1000 with a 3rd party tail-end cable. Maybe a fully-recabled K1000 and another 300B amp will perform much better.

Read up on the Cary 300SEI ;)

My K1000 is using a stock cable. His 300B monoblocks and my K1000 was the best headphone system I've ever heard, recabling them never even crossed my mind.

Read up on the Cary 300SEI ;)

My K1000 is using a stock cable. His 300B monoblocks and my K1000 was the best headphone system I've ever heard, recabling them never even crossed my mind.

I listened to jp11801's Cary 300SEI with K1000s and preferred both the Sig 30 and F1 to it, though, in fairness, I don't remember what tubes were being used at the time, and that could make a boatload of diff. I was also a bit disappointed in it with the R10s as I heard it was "the" amp for R10s. Again, could have been the tube thing, though.

I personally do not enjoy the Cary's 300B mush. It feels like I'm being drowned in sap. Of course, it might be a decent match with the K1000 for some people since the K1000 is quite neutral. For me, I think a sweet yet clean sounding tube amp would be perfect for the K1000.