Balanced amp on the cheap - suggestions anyone?

mapstec

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the least expensive balanced headphone amp that I'm aware of is te Headroom Desktop balanced at $899...not sure how it would fair with the K340 though. But it's a damn good amp. Going balanced isn't as easy to do well for $300.

Nate (n_maher) built a balanced Mini3....you might ask him how much that might cost.

Maps what is your source? the source has to be truly balanced in order to obtain a Balanced setup. if your amp is just balanced then technically your not true balanced, just single ended with fancy xlr's

Good transformers can do a better job making a single ended source sound good than some balanced implementations in the sources themselves.

Ive never understood that. With headphone audio the advantages of balanced are in the difference it makes upon control over the driver, so it shouldn't matter a rats arse where the phase splitting takes place, amp or source, so long as its done properly wherever its done. For a lot of sources which have balanced outputs as an afterthought and just phase split a single ended signal for output, its probably better to leave the split until the amp.

Agree but the rig is still not truly balanced and in theory would still be a single ended...no?

Not really, no. You could argue that it's not, but in terms of how it works, a transformer balanced single ended input has all the benefits of being balanced through the entire signal chain, with the exception that you don't get the noise rejection between the source and amp. But really, most people don't need that, because they're not running 100 ft interconnects in a high noise area.

ok, so basically you are telling me that I asked a stupid question.... >:(

So herewith you can consider this question unasked, thanks for your input, from now on I will rather concentrate on other aspects of headphone listening / tweaking.

I fail to see why you would think we thought that you asked a stupid question....take your thumb and forefinger and use them to take your panties out of your ass for a moment....calm down, have some dip.

You asked about a balanced amp for $300. We answered...we're not calling you stupid for asking, we're just letting you know that for $300 you'll be hard pressed to find a good (or any for that matter) balanced headphone amp.

Add to that the fact that you're looking for a balanced amp for a particularly difficult can to drive (the K340) and your options for a $300 amp are severely limited.

Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean we think it's a stupid question.

Thrice nailed it. The problem is this, the K340 needs a good balanced amp. Good, balanced, and $300 budget don't belong in the same sentence, you get to pick 2 out of the 3. A $300 balanced amp with a K340 is a waste of your money, and that's what we're telling you. But feel to knock yourself out and do it anyway, just don't come crying to us when it sounds like ass.