Balanced amp on the cheap - suggestions anyone?

mapstec

Whoa,

I never thought that you think me stupid, or even the particular question ::)

You have made it clear that the budget is not worth it, plus I had never really considered the question of where balanced started.

So if at all I would think about something dual mono or thereabouts.

The K340 right now is my main phone, I have a few AKG 2xx coming in, some of them 600 Ohms, oh and a K1000 that is just passing through...

So indeed at the moment I am more thinking about using a standard speaker amp to drive the cans with divided ground and see how that goes.

Does that make sense??

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moth what and where?

Can you give me more info?

http://www.head-case.org/index.php/topic,2384.0.html

Not in your $300 budget but if you want good sound out of the K340s that'd probably be a hell of a start. Actually, it'd probably be a fine place to just end. You might see if he was willing to sell the amp with just some of the tubes to bring the price down a bit.

If the HD300 is the same amp that I borrowed from Tyrion, it is great, but maybe not the best match for the K340s.

Perhaps not the best but with the same input and driver combo as the Extreme and HA-2 it should do a more than decent job and seriously, under a grand how are you going to do much better?

Perhaps not the best but with the same input and driver combo as the Extreme and HA-2 it should do a more than decent job and seriously, under a grand how are you going to do much better?

Hmmm... you've got a point. I can think of one amp, but I've said that I will never recommend anything from that company again due to my experience with them. :angel:

How were those K340 run from the speaker amps Boomana? Just a 4pin XLR termination and a tail? I only had the Ergo Amp1 when I had my K340s and it simply didn't have enough juice. If they can easily be run from a speaker amp I'd certainly give them another try.

Maybe he's using this as a feedback thread since Headfi is down :)

No. The Mini3 and HD600 are mine, MaloS has just been so kind to gather them before sending them to me (Italy).

I've reported about the balanced Mini^3 since I read some posts about it in the first pages.

Anyway, MaloS has also a pair of balanced K340, so we can try to see what sound comes out them when powered by the Mini^3. I'm sure it isn't enough power, but it should be tried for knowledge's sake.

How were those K340 run from the speaker amps Boomana? Just a 4pin XLR termination and a tail? I only had the Ergo Amp1 when I had my K340s and it simply didn't have enough juice. If they can easily be run from a speaker amp I'd certainly give them another try.

Yep. Like getting new headphones.