Deus Ex

deepak

Deus ex runs fine on windows xp. What version of the game do you have and what is your graphics card?

I don't have the game with me, but I believe it's the game of the year edition. I was last trying to run it on my laptop which has an ATi 9700 pro using the latest (at the time) Omega drivers.

what games that you have played have better dialog than BG1/2?

You didn't like the choice to be good evil or neutral?

Well, Deus Ex for one. Just about any other game that didn't set its sights too high, for another. Gothic has a lot of extremely well written dialogue. The best out there is probably The Longest Journey, as well as the old-school Sierra games, like Space Quest, King's Quest, etc... and the best of that bunch was Quest for Glory (I only played 4 though, but it was terrific). Wing Commander 4 also had a tremendous storyline and dialogue; if you look at the cinematics alone it was a much better movie than the atrocity that was released in the theaters.

Yes, I think D&D alignments are utterly ridiculous. People don't think that way, and if they do, they're mad. Basing a whole bunch of moralizing dialogue in a game on this alignment system is a recipe for disaster in my book. If not for that bit, I would have liked the series a good deal more.

Yes, I think D&D alignments are utterly ridiculous. People don't think that way, and if they do, they're mad.

People don't cast fireballs, either. BG let you be however good or evil you wanted, but your actions had consequences with your companions - I don't see the problem with that. It actually got quite interesting when you had the paladin and the evil cleric in your party.

I don't know if I'd call BG the greatest game of all time, but I'd say it has a fighting chance to be in my top ten. But then, opinions differ: I never liked the old sierra games, myself, I found them quite boring.

Well, except Leisure Suit Larry, but come on.

• 9 months later...

I decided to take another crack at the problems I was having and Google figured out the problem.

The game messes up on a laptop that has a CPU running at variable speeds (save battery) and the game goes into "turbo mode"

The fix is adding -CPUSPEED=#### to the shortcut's program location where #### is the actual speed of your laptop processor

ie C:\DeusEx\System\DeusEx.exe -CPUSPEED=1800

So I'm now playing Deus Ex again, finished the first level just now :dance:

• 2 weeks later...
Reminds me of Knights of the Old Republic. When you go evil and everyone has to make their choice on whether to follow for the end of the game. I couldn't believe how evil they actually let me be.

Having to kill Samuel L "Joli" Jackson was what made going dark side very hard. Still I slayed that fool and went on my merry way

• 2 months later...