Its me again with another stupid question

lross78550

This amp just showed up on "the other web site"

Does anyone have an opinion on this amp?

What are the other tubes worth?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs-singlepower-mpx3-slam-269408/

For the same money i could have this..

http://www.headphone.com/products/headphone-amps/the-desktop-line/2007-headroom-portable-desktop-amp.php

thanks for putting up with the stuuupid newb.

Lee Ross

The singlepower is definitely a nice amp, adn that's a nice price.

This amp just showed up on "the other web site"

Does anyone have an opinion on this amp?

What are the other tubes worth?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs-singlepower-mpx3-slam-269408/

For the same money i could have this..

http://www.headphone.com/products/headphone-amps/the-desktop-line/2007-headroom-portable-desktop-amp.php

thanks for putting up with the stuuupid newb.

Lee Ross

The toaster MPX3 should have slightly better tonality b/c stainless steel is a better ground plane than aluminum, according to Mikahil. However, the powder coated chassis MPX3 might have a more quite blackground b/c the chasis is more solidly built. Both amps should sound great and should sound great with many headphones. If you decide to pick either amp up, I recommend you to get the ECC1 adapter and upgrade the MPX3 to a high voltage upgrade, that way you can use the 6BL7/6BX7 as output tubes.

Aren't you the Nautilus/Levinson guy? I don't think MPX Slam leans towards that direction at all.

I'm thinking something like Grado HP1 (or 2) with a nice Dynahi amp would be right up your alley.

If (and when) HP1/2 is impossible to find with reasonable prices, Senn HD600 with balanced cable into something like Dynamight (balanced dynahi) or Headamp GS-X would also be in the kindred spirit...

I should add one thing that makes me wary about the SinglePowers is if the caps that they use are enough protection in case a tube decides to fail and take something out with it.

I know postjack's SinglePower PPX3-SLAM killed one of the drivers in his RS-1. Just something to think about.

I should add one thing that makes me wary about the SinglePowers is if the caps that they use are enough protection in case a tube decides to fail and take something out with it.

I know postjack's SinglePower PPX3-SLAM killed one of the drivers in his RS-1. Just something to think about.

I would really like Mr. KG to weigh in on this matter. Using old, out of production headphones makes this a concern.

I would really like Mr. KG to weigh in on this matter. Using old, out of production headphones makes this a concern.

My understanding is that it'd be nearly impossible to have enough capacitance to protect from a spectacular tube failure. It's one of the joys of tube amps :)

The caps are there to remove DC from the signal going to the driver, but they don't at all limit the AC voltage or the current so I'm guessing this is probably what killed pj's RS-1s, not a DC spike. But I'm applying what is rather limited knowledge of this stuff so bear that in mind.

No you are basically correct. I was hoping to get KG's opinion on a method of protection beyond a epsilon12esque muting circuit. Just want to see what the Doctor had in mind, that's all.