D-Sonic Magnum 500M vs Bel Canto Ref1000

tkam

I've heard and love the Wyred4Sound stuff. It is, without a doubt, the gadawfullest name I've e'er heard, however.

They had a room set up at RMAF with some high sensitivity baffle-less speakers, and sounded wonderful. I think it's the same company that does the Cullen mods for PS audio, FWIW.

I went a different direction, but really considered going for a lower-end stereo amp from them.

From the look I took at their caseless model, it seems to be a pretty straightforward implementation of the same module, however, so the D-Sonic should be a better value.

The real price is how much you bought it for minus how much you sell it for, of course, and by that metric I'd wager a used Bel Canto is the best value of them all.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for your impressions sherwood!

I also see that W4S has an integrated coming out. I've emailed them to try and get some info. For what its worth, Dan Wright has spoken very highly of the W4S stuff, but his praise could probably just as easily be put onto an 1000ASP based amp.

A guy in Fort Lauderdale is selling the SX-500 monos for $1400 which is a bit pricey considering they are $1800 new and the new ones are the mkii. I sent an email to see if I can audition them.

Sherwood, for what it's worth, your post got me thinking I should at least give them a listen when they are so close.:)

A guy in Fort Lauderdale is selling the SX-500 monos for $1400 which is a bit pricey considering they are $1800 new and the new ones are the mkii. I sent an email to see if I can audition them.

Sherwood, for what it's worth, your post got me thinking I should at least give them a listen when they are so close.:)

I haven't seen any used prices on the 1000ASP stuff that are that attractive. They're all in the "might as well buy new and get the 3 year warranty" range. Glad to hear you might get a chance to audition mike, I would value your opinion.

I have yet to read a single negative thing about the 1000ASP.

I haven't seen any used prices on the 1000ASP stuff that are that attractive. They're all in the "might as well buy new and get the 3 year warranty" range. Glad to hear you might get a chance to audition mike, I would value your opinion.

I have yet to read a single negative thing about the 1000ASP.

They were sold. If W4S didn't have the 15% restocking fee I would buy the ST-500 direct from them or Underwood and compare them to the McCormack for a few weeks.

• 1 month later...

I have a D-Sonic 1000S (in use since last August) and am extremely pleased with it. It runs cool, sounds great, gives lots of power, is physically small, quite efficient, and priced affordably. I too studied the various icepower offerings from other manufacturers before going with D-Sonic. As far as I can tell, the performance of a 1000ASP module is pretty much equivalent no matter who sells it. The only real difference is in the looks of the case of the amp. Jeff Rowlands look much nicer, but it was an easy decision to go with D-Sonic after comparing prices. I wouldn't call the D-Sonic cases stunning but they're unoffensive and not as ugly as the Wyred4Sound ones.

• 4 months later...
Did anyone here buy one of the NHT Power2 amps? If so thoughts on the sound?

Guy I used to work with bought an NHT Power 2 when they were being cleared out. I BRIEFLY got to listen to them, after they had been playing in his home off and on for a week.

My impressions, on a less-than-familiar system, was that they were actually kind of bright. Slight - very slight- glare in the upper mids, made female vox a little less enjoyable. Of everything, that's what stood out in my memory.

I haven't heard a lot of ICE amps, but I like what I've heard from Hypex chips/amps better. Smoother top to bottom so it seems, with good detail, and pretty musical. I told a friend about it, he built his own amp (UCD180HG modules IIRC) with a tube pre built in, and loves it.....