Trends UD-10 or something similar.

philodox

Hi all,

Looking at getting something like the Trends UD-10. Basically just want a quick and dirty USB-Toslink convertor. Looked at the Hagerman units and they only have coax or AES/EBU.

Any suggestions would be welcome. If you know of a place to get the Trends cheap, that would be great as well.

Thanks,

Jay

Ah alright didn't know you wanted really budget. You can try the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro, but I really feel this is one of those you get what you pay for items. It might not be worth your time trying to get the damn thing to output anything other than pops and clicks with the music.

From airfoils site... "1. Due to delays inherent in the AirPort Express, Airfoil is not recommended for use in conjunction with video."

So, that likely means it wont work well with games. It's looking like a USB to toslink adapter is the best way to go.

Anyone know of any DIY designs? Right now it is looking like the Trends UD-10 and the M-Audio Transit are the only serious 'audiophile' contenders for a commercial solution.

Forgot to mention that I will be using this with the Behringer DEQ2496 that I just bought... so I don't need any functionality that it already has. I plan on modding the DEQ with newer DACs [probably the same ones that are used in the transporter], a better PSU and a zapfilter output stage. Will be feeding it using AES/EBU from my Eastsound and with optical from whatever I buy as a computer interface. Should be fun. :)