Nova Physics Group - The Memory Player

HiWire

I saw a blurb on the player some time ago on this page, and there are conflicting opinions. It might be a breakthrough or it could just be a glorified overpriced computer, personally I lean more towards the latter given all the marketing fluff on the Nova Physics webpage. For the price it's going for, I'd rather just get a Simaudio Andromeda and be done with it.

They have the technology to finally make a great player. They have top scientists and engineers at their disposal. They have a world class and very expensive player on offer......

...and yet, I have to ask myself, would I buy anything from a company that has a website that looks like it was made by a 10 year old colorblind dyslexic? Do they expect anyone to take them seriously when that is the best they can do? I tried that site on both Firefox and IE7 and neither one can make it intelligible. Fucking morons! :popcorn:

There is a lot of hype surrounding this player right now and that is usually my cue to run away. It is said to use an algorithm to make it "sound good" and use 32bit dacs even if they don't use the only 32bit DAC chip in existence. The processor they use as a dac might be 32bit but that doesn't make the signal 32bit. ::)

There are a couple of threads on AudioAsylum discussing this. The thread referenced in this one has some interesting comments by Charles Hansen in it, who I would pretty much believe. I don't know if their claims regarding removal of the Reed-Salomon error correction hold any water or not, as from what I recall, disc errors were almost non-existent when Stereophile measured them. And I don't know much if anything about RS EC. The folks involved in Nova Physics apparently had their hands in Melos and Pipedreams (and another company) previously.

I would have to hear one before I would consider buying, and based on many comments, actually hearing one will probably never happen. For now my office computer, and Wavelength Consecant would serve my needs just fine thank you. If I can just get someone to buy my Merckx....

Well, the price on this thing is silly... but I would really like to hear one sometime.

If you get right down to it, even a standard CDP is a "computer" to a certain extent. Maybe it runs Winbloze... that'd get me to take web streaming out of the feature set in a hurry :mikey2:

Merckx, as in Eddy?

i take Ori even less seriously ;)

apparently, from the link Aerius posted, this machine was supposed to have web streaming, but the feature was removed due to fears that the player might become infected with viruses. more than anything else, that right there says that the thing is a computer in a box.

....an expensive, over-hyped, illiterate, pedantic, digital snake oil perhaps?

It's a 54 with Dura Ace components and the DeutscheTelecom color scheme so you gotta know it is pre Y2K. Not that I want to talk you out of anything but I can't imagine buying a 21 pound bike in this era. My Calfee is 16 pounds and a world of difference on a ride with 2k of climbing. Thanks for not laughing though. My post was a intended to be a comment not trying to fish for buyers but since you asked....

Yeah, I know you weren't fishing for buyers and wasn't accusing you of that whatsoever. And what's wrong with a 21 lb. bike? Dammit, it is pretty much the right size... oh yeah, it has ShimaNO on it, that's the ticket ::)

I'm an old road bike dude, just don't ride a lot anymore, being north of ermm, err, a big age. Just kinda curious if I wanted to get out of friction shift or not :P

Yeah, I know you weren't fishing for buyers and wasn't accusing you of that whatsoever. And what's wrong with a 21 lb. bike? Dammit, it is pretty much the right size... oh yeah, it has ShimaNO on it, that's the ticket ::)

I'm an old road bike dude, just don't ride a lot anymore, being north of ermm, err, a big age. Just kinda curious if I wanted to get out of friction shift or not :P

You might want to consider the newer technology. It is easier, generally makes for a more precise shift, and less distracting. I will never go back. Also, as we get older, if you can't train harder, go lighter.

Dew eeet!!!!