So who's heard Orthodynamics, and what was your reaction to them?

swt61

Fostex T-50 Mk1 FTW!!!! It's the only ortho I've heard so far but it is supposed to be a good start. I did do something very unusual for an ortho, I removed the stock damping and run them open. It's most direct competitor is the SR-X mk3 (normal or pro) and the T-50 can't quite match the speed of the 'stat but more then make up for it with increased dynamics. The SR-X Pro is pretty much neck and neck with the ortho though and has much better detail retrieval, larger soundstage and more comfort. I should get my Aurex HR-1000 soon so I can add a Uni-electret supra aural to the stable and see how it compares to the other supra aurals.

I really enjoyed the Yamaha HP50-A and PMB-100 for the short time I had both. I'd very much consider another HP50-A to replace my fake PX100, lots of bass on those, not a typical ortho sound.

And those are the ones that came with the Yamaha keyboard, correct?

My first high end headphones were the now elusive Yamaha YH-1000. I remember them being great, but would love to confirm that now.

I can't see age having much of an effect on the drivers. I mean they're aluminum diaphragms sandwiched by magnets, nothing too delicate here.

No problem with longevity, more a problem with spares, pads, breakages etc. Break anything and you either need another set to cannibalize or fabricate your own parts.

I wouldn't consider that any kind of deterrent though If I could find the ones I want.

To anyone who wants to try them, mine are for sale. I like them and think they definitely have a place in the upper echelon... but they don't play nice with my amp and are not different enough from my K340's to warrant keeping them. Steve can provide more details on what they are, but the price is pretty hard to beat. [$250 + shipping]

I'll be posting them up for sale on here and head-fi soon, but if someone is interested let me know and save me the trouble. :P

If anybody else sold them on Head-Fi, they would jack it up 50% above what they paid (PayPal and shipping extra), and mention how generous they are to sell for so little. Then when nobody bites, drop the price in $5 increments, making huge PRICE DROPPED!!! announcements every time. You think anybody's gonna take you seriously with a mere $50 price increase?

You've got a good point there Fitz. :D

Steve sold them to me for $250 [an insane deal given what all the components cost], and thats going to be my price when I finally get off my ass and do up a for sale post here and there. Shipping wont be exactly cheap, but shouldn't be too bad.