vibration dampening

tiberian

I have a couple of vibrapods that I'm using under my amps PSU that Jahn threw in. They're really just there to keep the cord from dragging it off the desk, but doing some quick A/B's there seems to be a slightly more solid sounding bass, and a little noise reduction in the background. Who knows, it could be placebo though, and this isn't the most revealing system ever. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I have symposium super platforms and roller blocks with the tungstin steel balls, as of right now all my equipment is not on the roller blocks because of a new an newley modded peace of equipment, need to wait till it settles in fully. And also my power cables are so thick that they would hamper the equipment to move freely an thus diminish the roller blocks efficiency. Its a never ending battle when you get into stuff like this as i'm finding as i get better equipment i have to be more cautious about what i use because the equipment is fine tuned already. Who knows i may end up not using the platforms in the end and go to something else.

I'm using some ~1/2" thick foam-rubber sheets I found at the dollar store, I think they're for children's playground floors. I use them to support my amp and keep it from sliding around. I don't think it does anything for the sound, but for a dollar, I'm not expecting miracles. I put my CD player on 1/2" thick glass block because it looks kinda cool, again, no effect on sound as far as I can tell.

Cable elevators I've used in the past with synergistic reseach speaker cables, worked pretty well as the synergistics are really open an detailed when active shielding is used. Now using PS Audio Reference speaker cables, yet to pull them out to try them on.

• 1 month later...

I use all my vibrational stuff just to get clearance on units lol - the Tower of Power is stacked pretty high, so right now the PC is on Isoblocks just so the 1m optical cable can reach up to the DAC. Also, the Melos is up on Vibracones so it can blow off heat away from the Marantz, but to make the .5 ICs reach to the DAC, I put Vibrapods under the DAC. Now everything is perfectly lifted - and hey, if the isolation helps SQ, so be it.

BTW, brass cones under my bookshelf speakers have NOTICEABLE improvement for me - before, the speaker was sitting on my hollow desk and the bass would vibrate through the top of the desk and make nasty chambery bassy echoes. With the cones, nary a vibration on the table, and that bass is tight and impactful - someone even called my Wharfedales "Grado-like" at a minimeet, good stuff. Thanks, brass cones!

I use a Synergy Rack with two Symposium Ultra Platforms as shelves. The UP made a big difference. If you do a search for ?Vibration? and Yikes over at Head-Fi you?ll find my thread with pictures.

Sometime this summer I?ll be upgrading to a Symposium ISIS rack.

IsisSilverMed.jpg

IMHO the best isolation rack made.

After I get the ISIS I will likely be selling my Ultra Platforms. Hint Hint, they fit in a Synergy.

Damn, Yikes, that rack is friggin' gorgeous! Makes me wish I had a better looking rack - you've been my ugly MDF w/ threaded bolts rack. For that matter, you saw all the ugly furnitures in my listening room. LOL.

I told you that I?d be your ?ugly MDF w/ threaded bolts rack.?, but only if you never told anyone. Just see if you?ll ever have me come over for any more kinky audio oriented role playing games. I?m done. >:(

:laugh::dance:;D

I told you that I?d be your ?ugly MDF w/ threaded bolts rack.?, but only if you never told anyone. Just see if you?ll ever have me come over for any more kinky audio oriented role playing games. I?m done. >:(

:laugh::dance:;D

Yeah, that "been" should have been "seen" and now I can't edit it since it's been a while since I put up the post. This is why I should read over things better when I post. LOL.