MS-Pro, RS-1, SA5000, AD2000, K601?

Fungi

RS-1 is clearly the new FOTM.

In my experience it's been the permanent resident FOTM at Head-Case. :P

Do you know someone on APS that has a pair of RS-1s? I don't and have no plans to acquire any. I'm looking for something else though and it's definitely not an SA5000! :D

:doghuh: What APS are you referring to, because I have no idea which one you're talking about. I was talking about APureSound, who sold it as if someone was waiting for this thread to happen, or something.

Didn't know Zach is re-cabling RS-1's now - something to consider if I hold on to my headphone rig.

I just bought the cable from him, Zach didn't do the actual recabling job.

I think he can recable most headphones, but I'm not sure about the RS-1 or MS Pro. I'm sending him an AD2000 to recable.

Given a choice between the RS-1 or AD2000, I would pick the AD2000.

:doghuh: What APS are you referring to, because I have no idea which one you're talking about. I was talking about APureSound, who sold it as if someone was waiting for this thread to happen, or something.

APS is the local shortening of "Alameda Padre Serra", the street on which I live. I didn't think of APureSound and assumed you were referring to me. Funny.

APS is the local shortening of "Alameda Padre Serra", the street on which I live. I didn't think of APureSound and assumed you were referring to me. Funny.

Ha, I only know you as the guy who works at (insert company here). Just wondering, what are you looking for now?

Ha, I only know you as the guy who works at (insert company here). Just wondering, what are you looking for now?

Now I'm the guy who formerly worked at (insert company here)! Sooner or later I'll have to start looking for a new job, but not quite yet. I'll probably start just after CanJam. I don't want to possibly screw up my trip there.

The first time I heard the AD2000, I liked them, but wasn't overly impressed. I remember vaguely thinking they were a bit too airy. I also remember thinking they were seriously comfy. I'm pretty sure I was listening with Seebreeze's Opus 21 and my Extreme which I'd had only for a couple days. I heard them for the second time at Volton's most excellent MOA meet and was shocked at how good they were. Granted, Ironbut's R2R and a Zana Deux had much to do with that, but if I suddenly went insane and started buying more headphones, these would be on my short list and the most affordable and available on that list.

i agree with what boo says here about the ad2000. I also agree with what voltron says about the k601, a good can in general but lacking the resolution and detail that the k701 has. I did feel the K601 was more "fun" to listen too though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Out of these headphones I've heard/owned all but AD2000.

If you're looking for the best can for variety of music genres then I'd go for MS-Pro or RS-1. They do pretty well with everything but the shine with rock/metal music. MS-Pro has slightly sharper, edgier and more analytical sound than RS-1, which is more "musical" and smoother sounding. It's totally up to your preferences which one you prefer.

SA5000 is a great headphone. It works very well with electronica and fast rock or metal music. It has extremely detailed sound and it's also very fast. No problems with double basses or complex passages. I'm not sure what gear aerius used when he auditioned these headphones but I just pretty much can't agree with anything he said except that SA5000 is quite comfortable on your head. High end can be much more fatiguing on MS-Pro than it is with SA5000. I never had problems with sibilance or stuff like that with SA5000.

K601 was nothing special to me. Mids and basses were hidden somewhere. High end was clear and detailed. Very thin sound for my preferences. All in all it was pretty much like K701, except K701 has more balanced sound signature.

I like when there's more body in the sound. My #1 preference is Sennheiser house sound (HD600/HD650) so all the headphones mentioned (except AD2000 which I haven't heard) sound slightly thin and bodiless to me.

Thanks for all the responses in the thread. I was considering getting a SA5000, but you guys saved me some money :dance:. I have the AD2000s and I've been very happy with them. I had the RS-1s and although I did like them the highs were too much for my ears at time :(. I have been enjoying the K500s and I just purchased a K701 again and owning them a second time around with my upgraded equipment made all the difference in enjoying them. For the value I agree with Elephas that the K701 and HD600 are great for the value. The DT880 is okay, but I'm still trying to spend more time with them since I just got them only 2 weeks ago.