Best SS-amp Today; Cost NO Object?

Best SS-amp Today; Cost NO Object?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Best SS-amp Today; Cost NO Object?

• Beta 22
    • Rudistor RPX-33
    • Rudistor RPX-100
    • Rudistor RPX-1000
    • Rudistor RB-010 (B)
    • RSA Apache
    • Headamp GS-X
    • Larocco Headcode
    • Singlepower SS1
    • Krell KSA-5
    • Naim Headline 2
    • Meier Corda Opera Amp/Dac
    • TooleAudio Balanced Mosfet Amp
    • Headroom Balanced Max

That should work... the tape monitor on most integrated amps/preamps is before the volume control, so you will need a volume control on your amp (B22). But it is at line level, so it has not been amplified (much).

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you need a volume control on your Beta at all points, right?

Good to know that that will work. That means I don't have to spend unnecessary money on a DAC which will be replaced in the futute anyways AND would give me the upportunity to compare the 2 amps and eventually the 2 DACs.

Hmm, thought about it some more and discussed with my bf. If this works what I'm about to say I don't need to have a build-in DAC in the Beta:

My current amp has a DAC and has a "tape out" which is, if I get it correct, not an amplified signal. So I could use the DAC in the amp first and than start thinking about a dedicated external DAC....too complicated...no... ;D ?

If I understand it correctly: amp now, DAC later? Makes perfect sense.

I think he meant that you were going to do the amp without an internal DAC now (using the DAC in your integrated whatever it is) and do an external DAC later.

Yes, you will need a volume control on the Beta.

Well...given my/our history, your assumption -- however incorrect -- was not entirely unwarranted. :)

I, of all people, probably need [sincere][/sincere] tags (the counterpoint to the [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags).

Lol haha! Well, I tend to read things more literally than I should. I've misread peoples words in the past before so...I'll look at your post differently from now (not sure if that's a good thing) ;D

Our history..hmm sounds interesting...don't remember a thing...lol...

Team Source First, we have a situation here! :police:

Please don't hurt me, I'll even give up the W5000 or L3000! But never the Qualia, it's mine forever! :P

Where do I start...First @ Elephas:

It does not need to be small and it is no problem if the setup eventually contains 2 components. I will be using this while working behind the computer and even though it's a laptop I always sit on the same spot.

What do you mean by Stello being overkill? Overkill for a computer as a source?

It's eventually meant to be my end-all-killer-setup (LOL ;D ) so money is not that much of a problem (within reasonable terms).

I've never heard any Stello, and assume it is better than a Lavry DA10 or Benchmark DAC1. By overkill I meant that a DA10 or Benchmark (or some other less expensive source) should work well enough with the Akai integrated amp and Ultrasone 750, and the difference the Stello might make would probably not be very large. I'm just guessing (read: BSing) here, if I'm wrong please don't tell mamma!

I didn't mean overkill for computer-as-source. I'm an enthusiastic computer-source user, and my primary rig is actually an RME HDSP 9632 sound card > Esoteric D-05. I feel the PC-source is very, very close to the P-05 transport > D-05.

One DAC I also like very much is the Chord DAC64. It works very well with the P-05 transport, RME sound card, MacBook's optical out or AirPort Express. It has a buffer that supposedly minimizes issues with the optical format. The Lavry DA10 is also supposed to be effective at dealing with issues with optical input. I think the Chord sounds better and looks much better than the DA10, though. :) I think you might prefer a Chord on your desk beside the laptop than a Stello. >:D

Sources I currently have:

RME HDSP 9632 with word clock

Esoteric P-05/D-05/G-03x

Accuphase DP-500

Chord DAC64 MkII

Lavry DA10

Mhdt Lab Constantine USB

Moodlab Dice

So please don't revoke my Team Source First membership!

Hi boomamma! Happy Mother's Day!

I didn't get you gift because I'm applying to join Team Source First and spent all my money on sources. I'm sure you understand. Everyone I met at the orientation meeting were very nice. They all had goofy ecstatic expressions on their faces from listening to their "Source First" systems. Everyone also had perpetually empty wallets. They told me that's one of the benefits of joining the Team, because you'll be too tired from crying over your empty wallet to argue with people about cables on Internet forums. I'm looking forward to the day I get to join the Team.

Your loving son,

Elephas

P.S. Are you kidding? The O2Mk2 is crazy-glued to my head!