Best SS-amp Today; Cost NO Object?

Best SS-amp Today; Cost NO Object?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Best SS-amp Today; Cost NO Object?

• Beta 22
    • Rudistor RPX-33
    • Rudistor RPX-100
    • Rudistor RPX-1000
    • Rudistor RB-010 (B)
    • RSA Apache
    • Headamp GS-X
    • Larocco Headcode
    • Singlepower SS1
    • Krell KSA-5
    • Naim Headline 2
    • Meier Corda Opera Amp/Dac
    • TooleAudio Balanced Mosfet Amp
    • Headroom Balanced Max

Because of a thread on Head-Fi (see link) it got me wondering, only I wanted to add a poll.

I know that a poll is somewhat useless as they are misleading since not many people, or maybe even none, have heard them all which will ultimately lead to a misformed / incomplete picture.

Nonetheless I would like to try and ask the people who are voting to explain why they voted the way they did, what else they've heard from the list and what sound(sig) they're after. When you feel I have left out an option which cannot be missed on the list, feel free to add your thoughts and please eloborate.

A little background: I still have to save up for a desktop amp and had my mind set on the Rudistor RPX-33 because of what I've read. I still have time (too much lol) before I buy and the thread triggered my interest again to keep digging for what's out there.

I was especially surprised by the Beta22 (the premade one, I'm no diyer) being cheaper (or around the same price as the RPX-33) while, if I get it right, getting rated above the latter. That could be interesting.

So...give it a go!

Head-Fi link:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/what-ultimate-cost-no-object-solid-state-amp-today-317815/index7.html

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only heard 2 on the list...

The Beta was great. Seriously... Outstanding.

The Apache was meh. Tried 3 or 4 different headphones with it. Music and some of the headphones were familiar, all of the upstream gear was new to me. Couldn't find a combo that impressed me.

Despite the abundance of commercial offerings, if I was in the market for a SS amp and money were no object I would build the best Beta I could come up with with respect to parts selection, chassis and layout.

I voted SS-1. Dan Chow (Icarium) probaby have heard some of the best SS amps more than anyone. Maybe he can shed us some light. I believe Single Power also have the following solidstate amps:

SP Square Wave Single End & Balanced

SP Harmony

SP Transparency

SP SS-1

Tom Hankins has the SP Transparency and he is using it as a pre-amp and according to him, its the best pre-amp he have heard. I listened to the SP transparency on his speaker system and it is indeed very very impressive.

Also, I've listened to botht the balaneced SQ. Wave v.s. the Dynamight and Balanced Beta22 and the Beta22 was definitely a better amp. For under 2.5k solidstate amp, the Beta22 and Dynamight are pretty tough to beat.

Would amps like Audio Techica DHA 3000 (its price was more than $3000 AFAIK!) or Gilmore Reference qualify for this poll or aren't tey up to par with what is already listed?

Yes, the DHA3000 is a stellar amp for the L3000 and other lower impedance phones, but it is only very good for higher impedance headphones like the HD-650.

Because of a thread on Head-Fi (see link) it got me wondering, only I wanted to add a poll.

I know that a poll is somewhat useless as they are misleading since not many people, or maybe even none, have heard them all which will ultimately lead to a misformed / incomplete picture.

Nonetheless I would like to try and ask the people who are voting to explain why they voted the way they did, what else they've heard from the list and what sound(sig) they're after. When you feel I have left out an option which cannot be missed on the list, feel free to add your thoughts and please eloborate.

A little background: I still have to save up for a desktop amp and had my mind set on the Rudistor RPX-33 because of what I've read. I still have time (too much lol) before I buy and the thread triggered my interest again to keep digging for what's out there.

I was especially surprised by the Beta22 (the premade one, I'm no diyer) being cheaper (or around the same price as the RPX-33) while, if I get it right, getting rated above the latter. That could be interesting.

So...give it a go!

Head-Fi link:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/what-ultimate-cost-no-object-solid-state-amp-today-317815/index7.html

I'm surprised that you can post a head case link on HF

The big issue I had with RPX-33 when I tried it was it just didn't have enough power. For every cans I tried with it (Grados, K701, K1000, and couple of others), it just seemed like it was straining to drive them. While many headphone amp can't do this, but it really couldn't drive K1000's at al, IIRC.