The Orthodynamic Thread

spritzer

I despise bluetak. Gross, gets all over everything, gets hard and not very sticky after awhile, annoying to remove. I hate it almost as much as I hate dealing with cotton balls. But that's just me.:P

shock.jpg Blasphemy!!! (I think I just like it because its blue...:P, and reminds me of playdough during childhood)

Heh yes Ludo is right.

IF you ever feel like taking a complicated route and pulling some hair out...take a look at my post here:

Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio - View Single Post - Orthodynamic Roundup

Precisely that's one of the reasons I'm not very sure about trying damping just parts of the driver. I'm not sure this driver produces more bass or treble in some areas of its membrane, I imagine it behaving as a piston moving back and forth, floating into the field created by the two sandwiched magnets. So if I damp its vibration only in some zones, maybe I'm creating resonating nodes and breaking points on the membrane, which could affect negatively its performance.

I see damping it just as a way to limiting its backwards motion to increase its stiffness, so it can respond faster to the changing signal and also has less excursion (hence less delivery) on low frequencies. This is what I think I'm hearing now, a faster driver, having less bass output so the treble shows off better.

I think I didn't get as a good result with the single 6mm felt layer because I didn't use any glue or tape to attach it to the back of the driver. Just adding 3 small pieces of tape to hold the felt in place against the driver, has provided better damping still in that good point where dynamic impact, frequency distribution and midrange clarity meet a quite good balance. Maybe I can bring out the upper treble a bit more, but then I'd be very close to make them sibilant or suffocating them dynamically. So perhaps before trying more damping or reflex dots, I'd better see what happens using bigger circumaural pads when I get them.

Bit more on modded T50RP vs modded HP-1.

The Yamaha midrange is just so addictive and good. It's not as extended top or bottom, but the mids are so yummy (my second favorite mids in a headphone, and I am ranking them over the K1000).

Tonally the T50RP is a bit strange. Playing back piano pieces, the tone sounds off. That's the best way I can describe it, like everything sounds a half octave or octave off. Piano is it's biggest pitfall and interestingly this doesn't manifest itself so much on other instruments though it's still there.

Both are great rock headphones, but like my favorite SR-007, the Yamaha has more finesse over the Fosty

Edited by deepak

Larry kindly gave me a Yammy HP-1 today so I had a quick play...

As posted on H-F...

So I quickly whipped the HP-1 apart to test a theory, and it worked! Not perfect but a nice proof of concept.

That 3M micropore paper tape we've talked about.. I bought a 2" wide roll of it at the drug store a few days ago. After rubber-gluing the driver to the faceplate to seal it properly, I taped completely over the back of the driver, the whole thing, with micropore, which gives just a slight gap over the center tab wire. Trimmed it flush with the driver edge and put a sheet of thin, medium density felt over the existing foam pad in the cups and screwed it back together.

I cut a donut of the same felt to go over the front of the driver, under the pads. Anyway, end result? lots of really deep bass and lots of treble. Cuts their efficiency by half and is putting quite the strain on the mini3 eek.gif I have Kabeers YH-1 here as comparison and it's quite the transformation. Deeper, more powerful, more slam and clearer top. They actually have some bite to them now but they still keep most of the smooth midrange wink.gif

As I said, not perfect but a very quick and simple mod anyone can do in the time it takes to unscrew and screw the cups if you don't bother with the glue stuff.

So yeah, fun little experiment. I might try to redo it using a sheet of leather over the driver instead of the micropore tape which should tame the highs a bit better.

Nice!! What are your initial impressions?

They're stock so they need to be modded. But I think they should exceed the HP-1 once modded since they already have plenty of bass and with some dampening I can see myself enjoying them very much.

They do retain the Yamaha sound signature which I do like very much :laugh:

I really liked the YH-1000. It has locks so that once you determine the right size you can lock them in place. And the YH-1000 sounds really, really good. I wish I could find a pair again.

The YH-100 sounds like poop to me in stock form. But once modded they kick serious tail!

I did not try modding the original frame however. I just went straight for the woody cups. So I'm not possitive how they'll respond to damping them correctly in the stock housing, but my gut reaction is probably very well.