The Orthodynamic Thread

spritzer

Pretty much all my orthos have needed heavy damping. The exception seems to be the T50v2, which with the normal T50 damping (two discs of mineral wool) and some circumaural pads they sound quite good. I think all I need to do is experiment with circumaural pads to find the most compatible one.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was watching that, too bad I am not making any audio purchases for a while. As for the head fi one, I am scared of buying orthos with permanent mods unless they were done by one of the pros ;). I had bought a HP3 on ebay but the seller never shipped it, hopefully getting a refund soon. Right now my ortho projects include finding a Pro-30 yoke replacement and finding a busted Bose headphone to put SFis in.

Pretty much all my orthos have needed heavy damping. The exception seems to be the T50v2, which with the normal T50 damping (two discs of mineral wool) and some circumaural pads they sound quite good. I think all I need to do is experiment with circumaural pads to find the most compatible one.

Where do you buy mineral wool? Haven't found anything online that seems suitable.

• 2 weeks later...

Where do you buy mineral wool? Haven't found anything online that seems suitable.

Not entirely sure, Im using the actual Fostex wool biscuits from my NAD and Aiwa vintage T50 variants.

I guess something like the wool stuffing used in roof insulation would be similarish...(but careful with handling, do not inhale).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Has anyone here heard anything with the Strathearn drivers? Kinda a bit before my time. I've found some interesting info in US patent 4,156,801, sorta cool read for the planar dorks among us.

Anyone know if this ribbon takes the "most difficult to drive" award? 0.35 ohm nominal impedance (without the associated transformer box), I'd think that easily wins...

Some of the DIY amplifiers to drive this were pretty cool in and of themselves. Yes, direct drive a flat 0.35 impedance (250 Hz - 20kHz)

Anyways, seems one of the rare things that the interwebs never "rediscovered".

Edited by luvdunhill

Has anyone here heard anything with the Strathearn drivers? Kinda a bit before my time. I've found some interesting info in US patent 4,156,801, sorta cool read for the planar dorks among us.

Anyone know if this ribbon takes the "most difficult to drive" award? 0.35 ohm nominal impedance (without the associated transformer box), I'd think that easily wins...

Some of the DIY amplifiers to drive this were pretty cool in and of themselves. Yes, direct drive a flat 0.35 impedance (250 Hz - 20kHz)

Anyways, seems one of the rare things that the interwebs never "rediscovered".

Looks like a speaker driver. But Strathearn were part of the Rank Organisation. In turn these were all basically the old school Fostex drivers.

• 5 months later...

I recently got another modded ortho in the mail from dbel84. I'm so amazed that I need to get a second opinion on this one :) I haven't tried out damping option B, but I'm hoping to help some help in this department, as I'm going to be real busy for the next couple weeks.. anyways, amazing stuff and perhaps someone else will post on this very headphone soon, after hearing it on a certain beta22 :)

Glad it made it safely :)

Once I am settled in new state/home etc, if there is interest, I will put together a "travel box" so that people can sample a few of the ortho flavours out there.

..dB

edit ....

looking forward to someone else's opinion on a certain B22 and now the comment of "some help which requires a screwdriver" makes total sense :D

I recently got another modded ortho in the mail from dbel84. I'm so amazed that I need to get a second opinion on this one :) I haven't tried out damping option B, but I'm hoping to help some help in this department, as I'm going to be real busy for the next couple weeks.. anyways, amazing stuff and perhaps someone else will post on this very headphone soon, after hearing it on a certain beta22 :)

What amazing modded ortho is that? (A secret? Like to share the secret in here?)