Just celebrated my Granddad's Birthday

swt61

I drove down to my Granddad's house this weekend to attend his 90th Birthday party. It was the very first Birthday party he's ever had in all of his 90 years.

About 80 friends and relatives drove down to share the very special day with him.

This was the second time I've ever seen him tear up. The first was when my Grandmother passed away.

He was absolutely shocked when he walked into the Church rec. rm. and saw how many people showed up.

It was the best day I've had in a long time. My Granddad is a very, very special person, and my greatest hero.

He danced with his two daughters, daughter in law and his new wife. You'd never believe that he was 90 years old. He stands straight (at 6'3") and gets around as well as most 60 year olds. He does have some dementia coming on as of lately, but he recognized everyone at the party, and had the time of his life.

He came to Texas in a horse drawn carriage from Oklahoma during the dust bowl, and has been a proud adopted Texan for over 70 years.

Nice thread. Can't believe it was his first birthday party in 90 years! He was certainly due.

I'm heading out of town this week for my parents' 50th Wedding Anniversary party. There will be a boatload of crazy family all around, and hopefully, some sane friends to keep things fun. Some old folks know how to party.

Nice thread. Can't believe it was his first birthday party in 90 years! He was certainly due.

I'm heading out of town this week for my parents' 50th Wedding Anniversary party. There will be a boatload of crazy family all around, and hopefully, some sane friends to keep things fun. Some old folks know how to party.

Have a nice time. Don't forget to see if Chumley has a better view of the world by now. ;)

Congrats on your parents 50th anniversary. That's always been a big milestone, but today it's almost unheard of.

Have a great time Vicki!

Very cool Steve. No parties in the prior 89 years? That's a depression-era upbringing with some staying power! My dad turns 86 this week, and he hates parties so we always have to tone it down. His father lived to 93 but was already in much worse shape than my dad or your granddad for that matter! My grandpa was also one of my heroes and I live in his last house that he bought the year I was born and where he and my grandmother lived throughout my childhood, which makes it a very special place to me.

And congrats to Vicki and her parents' 50th! I know you have been working on that event for a long time, V, so I hope you get to have fun now that it is here. My folks celebrate their 60th this September. We're still trying to figure out what to do, so maybe I should ask you for some tips! :D

Congratulations to your Granddad! My mom is 88 and still doing pretty well, and we've been doing little things for her like planting flowers and today a tomato and pepper plant. It really brings her joy and that makes me feel good too. Glad you could give a great party for him.

Great thread. That sounds like a wonderful time you had swt61. I'm sure you will never forget it. If DNA has anything to do with it you're going to live a long time too :). Just reading it put a smile on my face. Great to see your family on such a happy occasion.

Wow 50 years. My mother's parents had their 50 year anniversary a long time ago. They have both passed on, but it was a really happy occasion. That is a huge milestone. Have a wonderful time :)

That's a really sweet story! Nice you all had a great time together. Quite an age as well. Hope he has some more years to come in great health with his wife (and family ofcourse).

Have a great time Vicky!

Big family gatherings...we only have these when someone dies...nothing I feel bad about though, my family kinda sucks for the biggest part, except for the closest ones whom are the most important anyways.