Pass Pearl PCBs and related parts

luvdunhill

That's quite the test rig!

Looks like we will have some very nicely matched transistors :)

So how does one go about using the 9v battery, and, are there benefits?

well, the 9v battery can be used in place of the zener diode to provide a voltage reference. I have no idea if there are benefits, some people posted at DiyAudio think so, some don't. I'd have to try both to really comment further though.

^

Very nice Marc!

I've gotten the case mocked up. It's a little unorthodoxed, because I had to suspend the second board from the top of the case. This was necessary because the standoffs were in the way otherwise. I don't actually have the second board on hand, so you'll have to use your imagination there. That's it in Marc's pic above.

I ended up mounting the toroids in a piggy back configuration. The caps and rectifiers were a bit snug, but there is enough room.

This was my first case up job, so go easy on me.

pearlcaseup001600x450qk4.jpg

pearlcaseup003600x450pv0.jpg

pearlcaseup005600x450tv8.jpg

pearlcaseup006600x450cf4.jpg

pearlcaseup007600x450ol4.jpg

^

Very nice Marc!

I've gotten the case mocked up. It's a little unorthodoxed, because I had to suspend the second board from the top of the case. This was necessary because the standoffs were in the way otherwise. I don't actually have the second board on hand, so you'll have to use your imagination there. That's it in Marc's pic above.

I ended up mounting the toroids in a piggy back configuration. The caps and rectifiers were a bit snug, but there is enough room.

This was my first case up job, so go easy on me.

pearlcaseup001600x450qk4.jpg

Looks nice. I hope you don't have any noise issues with the transformers being so close to the boards.

Steve:

Looks great. How will the heat sinks fit? I bet you're going to have to shave 0.25" or so off of them...

DigiPete:

Yeah, this is a worry, but the toroids will be a considerable distance from the input, which is the most sensitive anyways. I think he'll be fine. Otherwise, anyone have some big ass tuna cans? :)

Damn those be some long-ass standoffs!

Yeah they are. The heatsinks are pretty tall, so that's why such long standoffs.

Steve:

Looks great. How will the heat sinks fit? I bet you're going to have to shave 0.25" or so off of them...

I think they're going to work without shaving them. If you'll notice on the bottom of the long standoffs I've put some nuts, those should give us the space needed.

Looks nice. I hope you don't have any noise issues with the transformers being so close to the boards.

Me too, but we'll solve that problem if it occurs. I'm not opposed to a separate case for the toroids if necessary.

http://www.goegood.com/

Over at DIYAudio, someone in the icepower order thread said they got a chassis from them that looked good and cost about $30...

diyAudio Forums - FS:B&O ICEpower 200ASC modules - 20PCS

I don't think that included shipping Dan, which would probably double the price of that chassis. Still not a bad deal at $70sh (it's $35 iirc) but I don't personally like the idea of shipping a chassis that far.

Marc,

I see you got the auricaps. Darn, I shouldn't have let you talk me into the M-caps :palm:

When are we getting the transistors and replacement zeners?

Cheers,

Pte

nope, those are Steve's. I have something totally crazy lined up for mine... waiting for some parts to arrive. Let's just say that I have 100 or so caps per board.

The replacement zeners shipped on Friday, as well as a few more parts. I have some matched parts on hand I can ship out for the "over eager" :) They're matched by Idss, which is sorta the "normal" way of doing things. Anyways, maybe I'll make my first shipment on Friday of next week? The next week I'll be on a business trip to visit "The Evil Empire" in Seattle, so I'll be out of town...

Have you decided on a case, or perhaps tested the unregulated supply portion of the circuit? If you're going to do some sort of LEDs, I'd attach them to this portion of the circuit, before the boards.

Let's just say that I have 100 or so caps per board.

The replacement zeners shipped on Friday, as well as a few more parts. I have some matched parts on hand I can ship out for the "over eager" :) They're matched by Idss, which is sorta the "normal" way of doing things. Anyways, maybe I'll make my first shipment on Friday of next week? The next week I'll be on a business trip to visit "The Evil Empire" in Seattle, so I'll be out of town...

Have you decided on a case, or perhaps tested the unregulated supply portion of the circuit? If you're going to do some sort of LEDs, I'd attach them to this portion of the circuit, before the boards.

I have not decided on a case yet, probably two Par-Metal series 20's.

I will run it uncased for a bit.

I will be hooking up the psu (uncased) today to see how some voltages are measuring up.

Count me 'over eager' :D

I am with luvdunhill, if the v+ is off when testing without a normal load, I wouldn't be surprised at all. This regulator has a pretty low level of gain, so will have a non-negligible output impedance. Plus, then you have the tolerances of the feedback resistors, transistors, and especially the zener diode or 9v battery. Besides, if you are at 29.66v, instead of a "normal" 29v, that is really just over 2%, and wont make a significant difference. If you really must trim it though, R10 and R11 are the regulator feedback resistors, and adjusting either of their values' will change the output voltage. I wouldn't try doing this before the rest of the circuit is in though, and really, probably would just leave it be anyways.